Are Painted Platies Man-Painted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not interested in support man-made fish coloration, but I like the looks of the Painted Platy. Are those colors man made? They look natural, but other fish with "Painted" in their name are man-made.

Thanks!

If you mean man made as in tattooed or dyed then no. It's just selectively bred, so technically that's man made.

c_leed said:
If you mean man made as in tattooed or dyed then no. It's just selectively bred, so technically that's man made.

Very true on selective breeding being man-made. But yes, I was referring to tattooed or dyed.

Thanks for the reply!

I think the "painted platys" aren't tattooed or dyed by the look (just googled) I almost bought a dyed blood parrot fish because they looked cool but this harms the fish when dyed/tattooed they do it a lot of different ways all harm the fish. The dye wares off on the fish doesn't last too long.

Blood parrots do get dyed but painted platies aren't like fruit tetras or painted glassfish. It's an atypical color pattern and is genetic, although I can't find any sites that go into detail on platy genetics.

Back
Top Bottom