Are plant fixtures one of those things what you pay is what you get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw a 48" t5 ho fixture on eBay. I had two 6500k bulbs 108w. $52. Would this fixture be total crap? Would it allow my plants to grow better I currently have a t8 plant bulb on them they grow fine. But will the $52 fixture make any difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I saw a 48" t5 ho fixture on eBay. I had two 6500k bulbs 108w. $52. Would this fixture be total crap? Would it allow my plants to grow better I currently have a t8 plant bulb on them they grow fine. But will the $52 fixture make any difference? Any info would be appreciated. Also are led or t5 ho better plant fixtures.

Odyssea is a pretty sub par brand. Some people love them while others hate them. Personally, I would go with a different fixture.

Aquatic life dual t5ho is one of the better brands out there and runs around $100. It'll put off more par than the odyssea fixture as well.

Assuming this is for a 55g then a finnex fixture would work as well. Either planted plus or ray 2.

LEDs tend to have a higher startup cost but lower maintenance cost than t5ho.

Lastly, the odyssea fixture would be an improvement but any upgrade in light levels might force you into fertilizers and carbon supplementation.

Yea I already use root tabs, flourish, and flourish excell.

Yea I already use root tabs, flourish, and flourish excell.

Sadly, if you are moving up to higher light then the flourish isn't really an effective fert anymore. I generally recommend dry ferts.

Just to throw my two-cents in...
I was super stoked when I bought my Oddysea lighting rig. It had two sets of florescent tubes, each with their own built-in timer. Plus it was super cheap when compared to other set ups. A great deal, right!?

I was not so stoked a couple months later when one of the pairs of lights completely stopped working and Im not sure the cooling fans EVER worked. I also had a lot of trouble keeping plants alive with it, but to be fair I knew next to nothing about growing aquatic plants at the time.

What I learned from this (and some other experiences) is that buying something because its cheap often ends up costing you more money in the long run because you'll probably regret the purchase and end up replacing it with a better, likely more expensive, product anyway.

Mind you, Im not saying that just because something is more expensive automatically makes it better. Just maybe do more research than I did before making important purchases like "lighting for plants" and "injected CO2 systems".

The odyssea bulbs are junk. If you buy the fixture you will need to switch out the bulbs with something else. I had that fixture and the whole thing died after 6 months. I replaced mine with the finnex planted plus led light and I love it.

Crap.. you def get what you pay for with lighting, aside from the cheap Chinese leds, they seem to be ok..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually have that fixture, with different bulbs though, and have had it growing great on my high tech 55 gallon. I honestly think I just got lucky with mine. I do plan on upgrading to a BML in the next 6 months. Do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on the lighting the first time.

Just to throw my two-cents in...

I was super stoked when I bought my Oddysea lighting rig. It had two sets of florescent tubes, each with their own built-in timer. Plus it was super cheap when compared to other set ups. A great deal, right!?

I was not so stoked a couple months later when one of the pairs of lights completely stopped working and Im not sure the cooling fans EVER worked. I also had a lot of trouble keeping plants alive with it, but to be fair I knew next to nothing about growing aquatic plants at the time.

What I learned from this (and some other experiences) is that buying something because its cheap often ends up costing you more money in the long run because you'll probably regret the purchase and end up replacing it with a better, likely more expensive, product anyway.

Mind you, Im not saying that just because something is more expensive automatically makes it better. Just maybe do more research than I did before making important purchases like "lighting for plants" and "injected CO2 systems".

Yep that's why I'm here asking questions. I think I'm going to pass on the light. I will buy a better brand when I get the money. I've been noticing daily growth with my t8 (weird) but for now it'll have to do.

Sadly, if you are moving up to higher light then the flourish isn't really an effective fert anymore. I generally recommend dry ferts.

I've heard about dry frets before. I'm almost out of flourish and when I'm completely out of it I'll buy dry ferts. Also do you recommended a better solution to flourish excel. A co2 system is out of the question along with everything else that the initial cost would exceed the price I spent on my tank.

I would go with metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. It's the exact same thing as excel but twice as strong. One gallon costs about $25 ish shipped.

I would go with metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. It's the exact same thing as excel but twice as strong. One gallon costs about $25 ish shipped.

Do have to worry about it melting my plants?

I think the only plant that I have that is sensitive to excel is a single val I have.

I know a lot of people with oddysea fixtures that have no issues. I have a 3 bulb one that's about 2 years old that has been working great. I also have some fishneedit fixtures which are better but a little more pricy.

I would base your decision primarily on your budget. If you foresee yourself getting into pressurized co2 in the future then go ahead and get a cheap 3 or 4 bulb fixture or a higher quality 2 bulb fixture. If you are planning to keep it low tech then I don't see the harm in getting a cheap oddysea 2 bulb fixture and calling it a day. There's also the LED option which is becoming more and more affordable. I think the finnex ray2 or planted+ is the best bang for buck right now (could be wrong, though).

When you bought the odyssea how much difference did you notice in viewing and plant growth?

Back
Top Bottom