Are plant fixtures one of those things what you pay is what you get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Compared to what? On the tank I was using it on at the time, it just had a 4ft dual bulb t8 fixture, so it was a big difference in light output. The color temperature was about the same since both had daylight bulbs in them.

The downside to using oddysea fixtures is that a) the reflectors suck, so a lot of light is lost that could otherwise be directed into the tank. And b) the bulbs suck also, mine were already dimming in 6-8 months of use. It wasn't all that big of a deal though since I intended to change them out around that time frame anyhow, but still. I use GE starcoat bulbs, they are around 7-8$ on amazon and work great.

So side by side against other higher end fixtures, it pales in comparison, but for the cost, I honestly believe it's a good choice for budget-friendly low-medium tech setups.

I currently have a single 48" t8. It has a good reflector. So if I switch will there be a great difference in brightness in my tank? Could you put a pic of your tank with the odyssea fixture?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay I have $100 to spend whats the best plant fixture I can buy for this price I can go a little higher. I will make another thread on this topic as well.

Okay I have $100 to spend whats the best plant fixture I can buy for this price I can go a little higher. I will make another thread on this topic as well.

What size is the tank ?

Oh sorry I mentioned it further up but not in this last reply. The tank is a 55g. I'll need a 48" light.

Oh sorry I mentioned it further up but not in this last reply. The tank is a 55g. I'll need a 48" light.

I would say an Aquatic life dual T5HO. Very good light fixture, great reflectors. I have two of them.

That will give you a very solid medium light level in a 55g tank.

If you can save a bit more and if you have Amazon prime, I'd wait till I can save 40$ for a Finnex Planted+. It's worth the wait, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

That's what I was leaning for. I will probably try for this.

Back
Top Bottom