Are rocks from city streams/creeks safe once they're boiled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divis_Julius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently went rock searching in a creek that runs through my city and is probably polluted somewhat. If I boil it and scrub it multiple times will that clean off any contaminates or will they have leached deeper into the rock only to seep out once in my tank?

You don't want to boil rocks. Some types can explode. Personally I'd be leary about using them even after being scrubbed well under hot water. If they could be contaminated with who knows what it's not worth the risk of contaminating your tank.

You don't want to boil rocks. Some types can explode. Personally I'd be leary about using them even after being scrubbed well under hot water. If they could be contaminated with who knows what it's not worth the risk of contaminating your tank.

Well I just boiled a bunch of granite (I think) so I guess I lucked out. And do you know if rocks absorb pollutants?

Divis_Julius said:
Well I just boiled a bunch of granite (I think) so I guess I lucked out. And do you know if rocks absorb pollutants?

Some do depending on type but you would have know what type of rock and what passes threw the water.

True but then I have collected rocks from my wet/bog/woodland behind the house. Of course I scrub them and soak them rinse well then dip in chlorine which I follow with dechlorinator. Again soak and scrub before adding to tank.

I never had any problem except algae eventually grows on them. But then the Cichlids keep a lot of that cleaned with snacking.

That said I would be careful WHERE I collected rocks. I am lucky to have a peat bog wetland property. Some of it where springs come up and filter down through.

Forgot.... I also soak them in water with Parasite Control before the last rinse and they go into the tank.

bluebirdnanny said:
True but then I have collected rocks from my wet/bog/woodland behind the house. Of course I scrub them and soak them rinse well then dip in chlorine which I follow with dechlorinator. Again soak and scrub before adding to tank.

I never had any problem except algae eventually grows on them. But then the Cichlids keep a lot of that cleaned with snacking.

That said I would be careful WHERE I collected rocks. I am lucky to have a peat bog wetland property. Some of it where springs come up and filter down through.

Sounds like me cleaning my diy decor. I live on 42 acres of woods with ponds and have access to 250+ acres of rivers and woods so I just take a walk and collect!

Sounds like me cleaning my diy decor. I live on 42 acres of woods with ponds and have access to 250+ acres of rivers and woods so I just take a walk and collect!

The creek goes through the city but is fairly forested. It's no where near 250+ acres, but it's the best I have within walking distance. There are no fish, but that's because of all the manmade tunnels the water passes through to go under roads. Salmon apparently use the stream further down, but I've never seen them.

This is how the ravine looks. I'm really torn on using these rocks, I can't make my paludarium without them yet they could be pollutants in the tank.

ForumRunner_20121202_105308.jpg

The creek goes through the city but is fairly forested. It's no where near 250+ acres, but it's the best I have within walking distance. There are no fish, but that's because of all the manmade tunnels the water passes through to go under roads. Salmon apparently use the stream further down, but I've never seen them.

This is how the ravine looks. I'm really torn on using these rocks, I can't make my paludarium without them yet they could be pollutants in the tank.

View attachment 135442

You just said the magic words.... if Salmon are still coming in to spawn in the stream downwater from you then I believe it would be safe to use the rocks. Just scrub them really good but also if they are granite do some reseach about using granite in fish tanks. The reason I'm saying that is somewhere in the back of my mind I remember quite some time ago that granite shouldn't be used in a fish tank but can't remember why. Just google it and see if anything comes up, if not then I'd say use it. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

to my mind, rocks in a stream or anywhere where the water is constantly refreshed, could well be harmless where they are and also toxic in a tank. maybe much less so than those just 'lying around' but the chance is there.

to my mind, rocks in a stream or anywhere where the water is constantly refreshed, could well be harmless where they are and also toxic in a tank. maybe much less so than those just 'lying around' but the chance is there.

But with weekly water changes hopefully nothing toxic can build up.

true, it's a risk you (we) all take. minimize the risks to a level you're comfortable with, have a backup plan and carry on.
maybe put some distilled water in a spare tank. take readings as a control, add a small rock and see what changes (if anything) over time.

Not to step on any ones toes, however I asked my daughter what she thought about everyday rocks in the tanks. She is Geologist. She told me to pour a little bit of plain white vinegar onto the rock and wait a few minutes. If it bubbles it is not safe. Scrubbing it would be a very good idea with a little bit!!!! of H2O2. I used the vinegar on two pieces of rock, one slate and the other had mica on it and that was too porous. Slate was good, and it had a slice of granite attached to it. Mica is very bad. Good luck and I hope others might try it to see if it rings true.

Back
Top Bottom