Are these fish compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I am still researching but while my tank cycles these are some of the fish I have been contemplating, and wondering if there are any compatability issues (I realise I won't be able to fit all of these into my 20g).

Platies
Mollies
Sailfin Mollies
Gourami
Red tail Shark
Rainbow Shark
Cardinal or Neons
Clown Loach
Khuli Loach (I really liked these)
Cories
swordtails
dwarf frogs

and something that has a red nose and whose tail sort of opens and closes as it swims.

If it matters, I am thinking of going with sand and live plants.

Thanks!

Elle

Hi elle:

unfortunately no, not all of the above mentioned fish are compatable.

The sharks and clown loaches will become too large for a 20 gallon tank and as they get larger will become agressive and prey on your smaller fish.

As for the gourami species, it really depends on the species. Some gourami are quite peaceful where as other species get huge and yet others are quite agressive.

For what you have listed, you could EASILY do a tank of sailfin mollies, kuhli loaches, cories and either platies, cardinal tetras (larger and more colorful then neons) or even some swordtails. Dwarf frogs can work in that tank as well. I have done that mix in the past with great success.

Also, no 2 sharks together in that small a tank. My 3 sharks in my 55G are doing good, but they have been together since babies. I also agree with all the other posts made.

Thanks. Glad to hear that I can have the Khulis.

Any idea what the (long and thin) fish with the red nose and scissor-like tail would be?

SerLunchBox: I am just curious, do you have any favourite places in Calgary to buy fish?

Elle

Any idea what the (long and thin) fish with the red nose and scissor-like tail would be?
That could be a possible true rummynose tetra.

SerLunchBox: I am just curious, do you have any favourite places in Calgary to buy fish?
Absolutely!

I almost solely buy from 4 stores only:
1) Gold Aquariums (favorite!)
2) Riverfront Aquariums
3) Pisces Pet Emporium
4) Tanks A Lot

Then again in Vancouver you should have a lot of places to buy fish in!

Also Elle2, you should join the Canadian Forum!

Back
Top Bottom