Are these good lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is a link.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=42901003
I need them for a 30 gal xh tank. The lenght of the tank is 24" , but the 24" unit is 25.25". Will it look weird on this tank? I plan on having a glass top. Will it be ok to put on top of glass? I am doing a FOWLR tank. I know I don't need better lights, but if this is a great deal, then I would buy this light instead. Please let me know if anyone has used them. It seems too good to be true. Thanks!
Jim

i have the current outer orbit hqi 48" 560 watt unit real nice

You could build a wooden cover to go over the top of one of those units. Of course you'd need to keep the back open or vent it some way so as not to defeat the purpose of the built in cooling fans.

If you're going to stick with fish only, there's no need to use very high output lighting. You'll only be feeding the algae...

One more question. Can I use this light with a glass top? I would still use the legs to have the light elevated above tank. I am just concerned with evaporation and anything getting out of tank.

u should get the DIGITAL power center instead. even cheaper on bigalsonline.com

Thanks Kwanlp26. Does anyone know if I can put the glass top on the tank and still use the light with the legs to raise it up? It looks like it will be ok.

You should remove the glass top regardless. The closed top prevents proper gas exchange ane will most likely lower your pH. Most gas exchange (CO2/O2) takes place at the surface. That's why you want a rippled surface and no glass top. You can use eggcrate to cover the tank if you any jumpers.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will buy the glass top and just put it on when I am not home. When I am home I can take off the glass top. If a fish jumps out then I will be there to put fish back in.

Back
Top Bottom