Argggg... 6 platies, 1:1 ratio.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spm2600

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Asked the PetSmart guy for 2 males, 4 females... He said ok, seemed to know what he was doing. I didn't confirm but when I got home I realize I now have 3 males and 3 females. Is this going to be a problem?

Watch them for a week. Exchange them if there's an issue. Petsmart has a 14 day return policy

Probably will be ok if your tank is at least 20 gallons with some hiding spits

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just utilized there 14 day return to bring back 2 of my 3 dwarf gourami so on that front it's cool. I'm just getting sick of going back and forth there because of misinformation and kids not paying attention. They are in a 36 gallon with plenty of hiding spots. I'll keep an eye out, thanks. :)

Your Platys

Asked the PetSmart guy for 2 males, 4 females... He said ok, seemed to know what he was doing. I didn't confirm but when I got home I realize I now have 3 males and 3 females. Is this going to be a problem?

Hello spm...

Heavily plant the surface of the tank with stems of Hornwort and Anacharis. Get as many individual stems in as you can. These will grow into a thick, lush jungle that will hide the females from the males. In the mean time, I wouldn't worry too much about this, a higher female to male ratio is recommended, but not critical to the health of the fish.

B

Quick update, 1 male is being a bugger... I'll be going back to Petsmart tonight to swap with a female. Doesn't help that this male is giant compared to all the others. That should get me to 1:2 ratio. One of these fishes it's very hard to tell if it's female or male. Fin doesn't seem to flex all the way out, but it doesn't look like a male's junk. Maybe it will fan out once it grows or is less stressed.

Back
Top Bottom