ARGH!! Fish funerals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK Now I started out the day with all 5 tetras. Even the one I thought was a goner the first day made it for 3 and looked like it was in the clear. I took a water sample to the fish store. Ph was around 7.8 (the water around here runs high-Ph 8) The Nitrates were just barely coming along and no ammonia............hmmm it might have been the other way around. Anyway I get back home and the weak one was dead. ~sigh~ Then an hour later a perfectly healthy one was dead. Did I miss something?? Is three fish enough to keep the nitrate cycle going in a 39 gal tank? I feel awful....losing two fish in a mater of hours............help!!!

Mantis

I don't know about number of fish for cycling, but rather than replace your tetras with other tetras, I would consider danios - they're tougher for cycling. Good luck with it, I'll keep watching your thread!

It could of been that the fish was just a bad egg in the first place. My kissing gourami and yesterday my platy just died, completely out of the blue, all water being fine. It happens all the time, just part of the nature of fish IMHO.

Go with the Danio's for cycling your tank. They are a hardier fish. Tetra's are great but IMO not for cycling a tank.

Don't let this get you down it will come together after the tank cycles

Back
Top Bottom