Arowana Replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vanimal said:
Thanks Predfan I think I just might get an Arowana and try and look for a tank to upgrade to while my fish is growing. The tank is 6 feet long and 18 inches thick so what type of Arowana would last in their the longest?(150 gallons) It's between a Jardini and a Silver Arowana. Also what do they eat??

I think Jardini are better looking personally and you could get away with it in a 150. I wouldn't be keeping tank mates when it matures though. But a dedicated Jardini Arowana tank still makes for an awesome tank none the less!

In the wild I believe they eat bugs that are above the surface. That's why they have more upturned eyes and the mouth structure. They also can really jump out a tank, so that's something you really need to be concerned about.

Taking a shot here because it looks like your set on a stock list already. How about a few largemouth bass? Or a northern pike?

So if I were to be feeding them in the aquaria, you want to find floating carnivore pellets.

I've also read up on people putting ping pong balls (I think don't quote me haha) in the tank to keep the fish looking upwards. Those preventing drop eye that these fish can develop

Ok sweet could I do a Jardini Arow and a Pleco? I have excellent filtration and I do 50% weekly water changes. Could I feed it blood worms, earth worms, and feeder fish on occasion? I will look for a floating carnivore pellet.

vanimal said:
Ok sweet could I do a Jardini Arow and a Pleco? I have excellent filtration and I do 50% weekly water changes. Could I feed it blood worms, earth worms, and feeder fish on occasion? I will look for a floating carnivore pellet.

Perhaps. I don't have any experience with it so I am not the best at telling you what's what :(

Tetra1990 said:
Taking a shot here because it looks like your set on a stock list already. How about a few largemouth bass? Or a northern pike?

I like that idea but I just really like Arows. But someday when I get older I would like to save up some $$ and get a 500 gallon or more tank with a red tail cat, arowanas, and peacock bass. I think Peacock Bass are very cool but I don't know where to get them.

Oh btw guys my 150 is currently stocked but I will be moving at the end of this school year so sadly I will have to rehome all my fish so if your wondering that's whats up.

Do you guys know a place where I could get a Jardini for less than $125?

It is. But honestly I don't think you'll get anybody responding with actual experience with such a large fish. Have you tried MonsterFishKeepers?

I had a jardini that was just over a foot long when I had to rehome them :( but he was fine with everything in the tank exept the oscars but all of my catfish including a leopard sailfin pleco was fine :) I think silver arowana are ok with anything they don't see as food, maybe that's a better option?

Shane87 said:
I had a jardini that was just over a foot long when I had to rehome them :( but he was fine with everything in the tank exept the oscars but all of my catfish including a leopard sailfin pleco was fine :) I think silver arowana are ok with anything they don't see as food, maybe that's a better option?

I heard Silvers get bigger?? And what size tank was yours in?

Predfan27 said:
It is. But honestly I don't think you'll get anybody responding with actual experience with such a large fish. Have you tried MonsterFishKeepers?

Ill try that now. Thanks

They can reach 4 feet but it's rare in the aquarium and my jardini was in about 315 gallon with an rtc a tsn, a giraffe catfish a pleco and 2 oscars and the only thing he didn't get on with is the oscars.I don't know why they didn't get on :/

Shane87 said:
They can reach 4 feet but it's rare in the aquarium and my jardini was in about 315 gallon with an rtc a tsn, a giraffe catfish a pleco and 2 oscars and the only thing he didn't get on with is the oscars.I don't know why they didn't get on :/

Yeah I've been researching and watching YouTube videos and it seems like most stay at 3 feet or under.

Jardini is your best bet with arowanas because they're the smallest of arowanas I my self have had two silver arowanas which get around 4 ft so you don want those monsters also check out clown knifes they get around 3 ft but are awesome also you could have a baby Jardini in your 150 for around a year until it gets to big then you'll need to upgrade possibly a little before then

Bates1990 said:
Jardini is your best bet with arowanas because they're the smallest of arowanas I my self have had two silver arowanas which get around 4 ft so you don want those monsters also check out clown knifes they get around 3 ft but are awesome also you could have a baby Jardini in your 150 for around a year until it gets to big then you'll need to upgrade possibly a little before then

What size do you have and would a 220 be big enough for life??

I have a 100 gallon right now but I'll be starting up a 210 gallon in a couple weeks my silver arow is around 7 inches right now. I had a 17 inch silver but I left a tiny whole open on the top of my and he jumped out:(( and yes personally I think 220 is good for life maybe with a silver but almost for sure with a Jardini. Arowanas usually need like 6-8 ft longer is better

Back
Top Bottom