Artesian water/artesian well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have a artesian well water and was wondering if I need a ro unit since I read online that it's the purest water there is.

That would depend on whats in your water. I have the same, but I have to filter for copper if I'm its going into the salt water tanks. Freshwater... they love it just the way it is.

Thxs, mine comes straight from the well and we got it tested and there's no sign of copper it's very pure

I myself found an Artesian Well in Fishers, Indiana. I collected 12 gallons and came home and tested it. It had no Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and pH was 7.4. It was perfect. I took a sample to my lfs and they tested the same parameter results.

Well the problem with well water / spring water is that is has a lot of minerals in it ( which is why it tastes good) Which isn't really bad but isn't good either, tends to be like algae fertilizer. And you know by testing what it doesn't have in it, but you don't know what it does have in it or how much.

Id still ro/di the water for reasons already stated. My well water is great...until the neighbors spread manure on the fields and it leaches in. My house has a filter on the line and i still ise ro/di to keep it clean and pure. When i know they are spreading, i take it to my parents home to make water since they have a uv filter on their line as a double precaution.

Red44 said:
Hello I have a artesian well water and was wondering if I need a ro unit since I read online that it's the purest water there is.

The purest water is 0 TDS Ro/Di. If its not 0 TDS its not pure. If it comes from the ground its not pure. Copper is only one heavy metal. There are hundreds of things you cant test for. Only way to know if its pure is 0 TDS. Get yourself a meter. 20$

Your water may be 20 TDS but that 20 could be anything, from phosphate to uranium, you just dot know. Best to use 0 TDS for such a heavy investment like a saltwater tank. You dont have to but i would never advise someone to take that risk however small is may be.

Back
Top Bottom