Asexual caleurpa - what's the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine does it quite regularly..doesn't cause any problems, but I don't have super sensitive corals either.

The concern is not unlike anything dying in the tank...it releases a lot of nutrients that were formerly bound up in the algae.

Your caulerpa will go suddenly white. It will lose all it's green colour and it happens fast, overnight usually for me.

Brad,

Doesn't that usually cloud up the tank for a few days? How often would you say is regularly? and what type of caluerpa do you have?

Thanks,
Jim

from my understanding the leaves will turn a clear white color and die off !
but i always keep the lights on 24/7 and remove half about every month or two and yet have see this :)

I had grape caluerpa go sexual in my reef 3 times..... Like the others say turns white and clouds up the tank for a few hours, releases stored up nutrients. This happend when I was only leaving my fuge lights on 14 hours a day. I now run the fuge 24/7 and tossed all the grape.

I have grape caulerpa. When it "goes", I don't notice a cloudiness in the water at all. This is probably just due to a lot of water movement. It never quite all dies off at once. There is always enough that remains to grow more.

I also have some healthy Halimeda which do the same thing. It is more dramatic when Halimeda does it since they have such large leaflike structure. The "leaves" go white and disintegrate into small green dots.

I'm only running the MH lights for 8 hrs per day. The actinics are on for 12 hrs per day.

To answer and earlier question..."going sexual" is a way that the algae reproduces. It is kind of a self-destructive way of spreading itself around.

Back
Top Bottom