asking LFS to order fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, my cycle will probably be finishing in a week or so. I was wondering if any of you guys have had success with asking LFS to order fish for you. I'm in the Boston area and I want to find Cories... but a lot of places I check don't have them or they just have albino cories... Thanks

I never had any issues with having a lfs order a fish. Now I have never ordered any fish though the net. That I really dont perfur. But as far as the lfs never had any problems. :)

blipblop said:
Hi guys, my cycle will probably be finishing in a week or so. I was wondering if any of you guys have had success with asking LFS to order fish for you. I'm in the Boston area and I want to find Cories... but a lot of places I check don't have them or they just have albino cories... Thanks

I haven't actually done it yet but my LFS told me to let them know by Mon evening for a Tuesday afternoon delivery and they would call me when the fish were in to pick them up. That way I can avoid the LFS tanks. :) There wasn't going to be any additional fee either.

~g

I have done it at my LFS here in Kansas but sometimes I have to wait a while for them to come in because they only make orders when there supplies are rather dismal. Longest I've ever had to wait has been about 3 weeks to a month. Good luck!

smn723 said:
I have done it at my LFS here in Kansas but sometimes I have to wait a while for them to come in because they only make orders when there supplies are rather dismal. Longest I've ever had to wait has been about 3 weeks to a month. Good luck!

I guess it is a small world after all. LOL I am from Kansas too. But I never had to wait 3 week to a month. The LFS here all ways order new fish every Tuesday and as long as you tell them what fish you are looking for before Tuesday, and they would check to see if they could get it from there supplier and if they could they where usaully pretty good on getting there with in 3 to 4 days.

I order in from my LFS alot... but it seems that i have good taste in fish, because b the time i get there, they are either gone... or they dont have the amount i need or want, so i just end up passing.

It won't hurt to ask the LFS....the worst they can say is no they won't order them. Sometimes it depends on if they can get the fish or not (supplier may not have it)....so give it a shot. If one LFS says no, or can't get what you want, try another. :)

It also depends on the time of year on whether you can get particular species through your LFS or not. Some fish aren't imported during the hot summer or cold winter months because they could suffer huge losses during shipment.

I have purchased fish online three times so far (twice through AquaBid.com and once from a dealer in Texas) and been perfectly happy with the results in each case.

gheitman said:
It also depends on the time of year on whether you can get particular species through your LFS or not. Some fish aren't imported during the hot summer or cold winter months because they could suffer huge losses during shipment.

Yea because of the time of year and availablility I had to wait about a year for some diptail pencilfish to become available. I've had a group of 6 now for about 3 years along with 6 beckfordi pencils.

Edit: O also I remember sometimes fish aren't available because the government of the country that they are taken from is in a conflict, etc. so they can't be collected for awhile.

Where are you in MA? There are several good LFS in the area that should have a nice selection of cories. Check out the MA and RI (if you're more southerly) threads in the regional forum.

I used to work at my LFS and we'd never give people a problem about ordering fish. Every week we'd actually cross out all the prices on our distributor lists and photocopy them for people to look at.

Summer and the dead of winter are the hardest times to import cool fish, especially SA cichlids. Apparently during the rainy season down there they cant export anything.

Can't wait for fall though, it's the best time for interesting stuff to start appearing!

Back
Top Bottom