Asterina Star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a little guy on my glass this afternoon...looks like a tiny starfish, but not are well-defined. I think it's an Asterina Star....is this a bad thing? Should I take it out? From teh description on Xtalreef, it splits into other stars....any idea how many of these I'll get?

As long as you see them climbing around on your glass or rock work they are fine. It's the kind that you see on your corals you need to worry about. I have tons of them in my system and have seen no ill effects from them. If you don't like the look of them remove them I consider them part of my clean up crew.

Thanks guys. I've been told that these little critters I've been finding and stressing over a good sign that my tank is healthy, so I'll stop stressing and enjoy the variety of marine life thriving in my little world :)
Youy guys are great!

These things are great. I have a bunch of them running around the tank.

Attachments

• StarsOnGlass.jpg
    StarsOnGlass.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 182
I have hundreds no matter how many I give away. LOL. They are OK and wont harm your tank.

Cmor, it looks like one has SIX legs....mybe the 4 leaf clover of stars.

My only advice to be wary of their numbers as they are varied feeders.

I have no corals for them to munch on, so if they help keep my glass clean, I am plenty happy :) I also have a bright pink/purple bristleworm that has gotten pretty large, so I am happy to see so many new forms of marine life in my tank :)

In my tank I dont have too many of that species of stars, but I do have a ton of the MINI BRITTLE STARS
hhgood.jpg
The only reason I know this, is because when I vacuum the substrate during pwc I notice a bunch of them in the bottom of my bucket. I try to save some with a spoon and put them back it the tank because I feel bad for them, but it is hard to do because if I can scoop one up, I usually scoop out a bunch of the detrius that I vacuumed out too.

Back
Top Bottom