Attack of the temptations: Betta & Cycled Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
After visiting my local Petco today, I couldn't stop thinking about the Bettas they have in those little plastic containers. Usually, I don't seem to notice them, but today I just did. They even sell BABY BETTAS..they look soo miserable in that small volume of water..and then *BOOM* I just HAD to get one. It wasn't just me, my sister and mom were crazy about it too. We didn't get one..yet.

When I was younger, my mom took care of a betta, and when I asked her, she said she didn't use a cycled tank. But after researching, I'm just getting mixed opinions.

For example:
"You don't need a cycled tank, bettas are hardy fish and breathe air from the surface. you could just use rocks or media from an established tank, ...."

And then there's:

"YES you need to cycle the tank before you put bettas in, they may not live long and there will be numerous water changes if you don't"

I plan to put him/her in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and basic decor; nothing too fancy..BUT I do want to make sure they will remain healthy. My sister and mom are going to help too, haha.

Point: Do you need a cycled aquarium (5g) before putting in a betta? Thanks!

Yes. Although Bettas are hardy fish, all fish need a cycled tank, or you will have to do a lot of water changes (like 3 gallons a day). You can cycle the tank with pure ammonia. Have you had fish before?

Yes they do, but IMO fish-in cycles are just fine. Lately this is the way that I've been going. The only big issue with fish-in is that you have to do PWC everyday to every other day, which isn't bad on a 5g. I keep one of those 1g fish bowls around and take out that much and put that much back in. Considering that is 20%+ of the tank it'll be good. You could go fish less but I find that much more boring. You don't get a fish and you don't get your hands wet;)

Yes. Although Bettas are hardy fish, all fish need a cycled tank, or you will have to do a lot of water changes (like 3 gallons a day). You can cycle the tank with pure ammonia. Have you had fish before?

Nope, I am new to the hobby.
My 10g tank is on it's 2nd week of cycling already, I plan to make that a community tank. My sister is already thinking of several fish, and if it does plan out, then I want to keep the betta in a different tank. I cycled my 10g with pure ammonia, so I know about it :)

Yes they do, but IMO fish-in cycles are just fine. Lately this is the way that I've been going. The only big issue with fish-in is that you have to do PWC everyday to every other day, which isn't bad on a 5g. I keep one of those 1g fish bowls around and take out that much and put that much back in. Considering that is 20%+ of the tank it'll be good. You could go fish less but I find that much more boring. You don't get a fish and you don't get your hands wet;)

Ahhh! I want to try that, but I'm a bit paranoid of the fish's health while in there :(

In my experience, bettas are fine with a fish in cycle, as long as you stay on top of water changes. And water changes in a 5 gallon are a piece of cake.

Back
Top Bottom