Automatic fish feeder help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philscfc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Morning everyone,

Im going away for a week in a few months time and my fish need to be fed, There are no friends or family near by to ask to come in and do it for me, so i am looking at buying an automatic fish feeder.

Are there any you recommend, are they a good or bad thing, not been doing this for very long and would appreciate some help/advice from you experts.

I have a Fluval Chi (19L) tank, i know its not the best of tanks after reading up on here, and have 1 betta and 1 pitbul pleco that I dont want to starve.

I know that both of them are very hardy and can do without food for a weekend and still be ok, but a week is too long and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Actually most fish, including yours, can go for 2+ weeks without food
Don't waste your money IMHO

Wow 2+ weeks, was not aware of that! thanks. So you recommend just feeding them on the morning we leave and then when we get back?

philscfc said:
Wow 2+ weeks, was not aware of that! thanks. So you recommend just feeding them on the morning we leave and then when we get back?

Yes
Feed them increasing amounts after you get back don't feed them a ton all at once

I personally use one when I leave. I use the flat fish mate. In order to "starve" them, you have to acclimate them first and I just don't have that kind of time and patience. I feel a little bit of food is better than none. Someone may have more insite on the acclimation thing (if they do it) on vacationing and not feeding. Either way you should be OK.

I definitely would not feed them if my only other choice was an automatic feeder. I'm sure there are some that work, but any we've tried have not and I don't really know of anyone else that's had decent results.

Don't try the feeder blocks either as they will only foul your tank.

I feed my tanks every other day. Going a week with no food is not really an adjustment for them.

Back
Top Bottom