Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the most recent pic Jan. 22, 2020 for the Waterbox tank

60074-albums14791-picture72348.jpg

Removed 3 males over to the 72G as they are bigger now and obviously males.

Then too 3 nice males from the 72G a Albino snakeskin mainly towards the yellow color, a Japanese Blue Lyretail nice body and fins and the Snakeskin maybe metal head cross one, might catch the other more metal head looking guy.

This way the zillion females will maybe get some gorgeous babies to add to the 72G.

There is a local breeder with some really lovely Guppies and Endlers and hoping to get some of theirs in the next couple weeks.

I can not seem to get a good pic of the males in the 72G fluttering all around with their lovely tails and pretty colors, but they bring a smile to me and happiness to my heart.

Very happy with the decision to add so many of them. Appx. 15 since I basically swapped the 3 for 4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The colonies of Powder Orange Isopods are really doing great. The Springtails are really increasing so very fast as well. I am feeding them in small amounts to the guppy young ones. Varying the diet.

60074-albums14780-picture72360.jpg

60074-albums14780-picture72361.jpg

60074-albums14780-picture72359.jpg

All the white tiny dots on the sides and on the charcoal and the little white lines are the Springtails.
60074-albums14780-picture72363.jpg

60074-albums14780-picture72364.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think I’d seen the water box tank before or can’t remember it (more likely :) ). Looks good - like the layout.

State of the fish tanks review day

It was a quick build once started. I have yet to add the finishing touches, due to life being so busy.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...terbox-2418-clear-30g-371189.html#post3534687

The Guppies are looking great and growing up so much faster in the 30G tank. Pretty happy with the new males growing from the fry.

The new males being added to the "fry" tank were to ensure that some really nice blood lines would be added to the group, as all the tiny young males were getting ALL the young females pregnant.

It will be easier now to see the new young males growing up and get them out much sooner.

~~~~~~~~~~

12G FW Edge
I got out the last lone straggler male Guppy/Endler from the 12G where they were growing up. Now all grown up, looking great, that one was super sneaky and took a few days to capture.

The Pencil fish and the small number left of the Chili Rasboras with the single Amano shrimp are looking much more calm with the 5 male Guppy/Endlers gone.

The 12 Chili Rasboras in QT will be very happy in the tank now too when their QT is up!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Had a sick day today and got to watch some videos and inspirational plant selections and tank builds, which will help with the new 80G tank build.

The bigger fish will get to move. The Congo Tetras and the Clown Loaches will be the main features in that tank.

Still considering a few more fish but it's open for awhile, have lots of other things which have a bigger priority.

Didn't really see any awesome looking Cypress knees tank builds around, and thus excited to make some strides in the field. It will be a River fusion tank. Hoping to take some of the nice things and get them together.

The Bolbitis and Anubias Barteri are hanging out doing well in the 72G waiting for the 80G to get water!

~~~

The 72G is doing pretty well, and I am really enjoying seeing all the male Guppies and Endlers in there. Livens it up!

~~~~

6.6G cube
The Imported Thai Betta is suffering from the body growths and he's still beautiful and feisty, but it is sad thinking he probably will not see the end of the year.

~~~~

The Wine glass is over run with the Tiger "Lotus". Thinking it might be better in the 80G with lots of room for the leaves.

It is hard to see the fish and shrimp. Many, many "Ghost" / long arm, maybe Whisker Shrimp swimming all around.

About 5 Pygmy Cories and 5 standard Endler's livebearers males. And 2 other Cobra Endlers.

The Cobra Endlers will move to the 72G when the wine glass gets a clean up pretty soon.

One hobbyist friend of mine has a whole bunch of the Endler's livebearers including females and I might just get a few males and some females to put them together for awhile. They are really pretty. Or the males will get to go to the 72G male Guppies group.

Although the Endler's are full grown, they are still small, and mouth sized to the larger Congo Tetras, so they stay put until the Congos are moved.

Also considering changing over the wine glass to a terrarium style plant container, as to reduce the chance of it getting broken full of water.

~~~~~~~~~~

The 46G bowfront SW is still a tank I am not happy with.

The few fish and huge Coral Banded shrimp are all very much favorites. The tank set up, background and look is not pleasing. That will end up getting a change but just no clue to what yet. Going to change the back ground soon, maybe that will help some.

:popcorn:

My little tanks are changing over to (some big tanks), planted vases, house plants and moss jars stacked and layered across a specific table. Not as much to worry about when I have to go out of town for a couple weeks at a time.

5 tanks and wine glass (will likely be the Betta) which long back established, wasn't an official "tank" and the QT also not an official tank because it isn't a home to any fish.

In about a few weeks will just be

80G FW Innovative Marine

72G FW Bowfront

30G FW Low Iron Waterbox

12G FW Edge

SW Something cool and modern looking I hope

Wineglass Ghost Shrimp and Betta

Only planned new fish group will be more Dwarf Cories

A few more Amano Shrimp for the 12G.

Always considering 2 groups of Dwarf shrimp, probably one will be just a cool shrimp I have been wanting, and wait for some time to get the special group of Dwarf shrimp. :angel:

Last edited:
Wish I could pop over to grab some of the tiger lotus! That’s a shame on the betta as well after all the work getting home good.

I wish you could as well.

The substrate in the Wine glass is super mucky. The other day I tried to grab a couple bunches of MTS snails which were piled on top of a wafer eating.

(there were way too many MTS)

To feed a few to the Clown Loaches and I had to stand on a step stool to reach down to the bottom, barely could reach it and stirred up so much poop and muck that gets trapped in the substrate after a long time (and no vac'ing because it it too crowded and small of space especially with the curved sides of the wine glass.)

This made me know that pulling out that Lily with all the muck underneath would probably nuke my little tank stirring up all the nitrates.

This problem leads me to consider the changing of the
Wine Glass tank, or a creative solution maybe have some one help me vac'ing while I pull out the Lily????????? Sucking out the muck as I might slowly try and get it out - maybe.

It wasn't really on the schedule to so SOON take down the Wine glass. I still really like it and for the amount of time it takes, almost none... It isn't causing me any problems. About a 2x a year light clean up and once in a great while more attention.

Kinda the least of my concerns, and pretty much runs itself with the every few months rinse of the sponge filter.

Which brings me to the tanks that are really big and require lots of water moving when it is water change time.

DH suggested that I figure out a automatic water change system for that side of the family room and could (spend some money) and start adding tanks to a pwc system like I have been thinking about for y-e-a-r-s!

There is room over on that long wall to switch tanks places /move over the SW tank which is a little bigger and I wanted to switch SW tanks (buy a new used tank OR win one at the auction, lol), for the SW anyway. :)

Then put the small 12G Edge or the 30G waterbox where the SW is and a smaller tank and easy pwc by hand that way 4 tanks - the biggest ones could be on a auto water change, it is next to the rear wall to the back yard and a drill could make a hole there to have old tank water exit and water the tree or grass.

The strategery of setting this up is not my ideal type project, so I might be able to get some help figuring it all out and (then how to pay for auto top off units and automatic pumps / lines and whatever it all would take).

The SW money spenders have this stuff and I know it exists, lol. Not just a home made version. One with alarms if the supply tank gets low, a pump isn't working, etc., etc., etc.!

Figure this will take a while. BUT if I could at least get it going for the 72G and the 80G..... It would save my time and back for sure!

Another post coming about biological tank care...

Maybe won't have enough time to go through it all but, bio-floc water care systems are very interesting. There are large scale operations for fish farms, but people are using them on tanks too.

And probiotic foods for fish and shrimp...

And a different BB media option. I had seen this a while back now, but forgot about it until a newer member here got me interested in checking up on it.

Excited that I found, so far about 3 maybe 4 of the young male Guppy/Endlers I have are a very unique color form.

Really pretty so far!

Pics aren't great here is one and the arrows are pointing at the tails and Cobra Guppy/Endler pattern with the blue sheen in the body. If you widen the screen to see that one fish better you get a vague idea.

I'll see if I can get a better pic.

60074-albums11380-picture72372.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72373.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72374.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72375.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72376.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72377.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72378.jpg

80G finally cleared up - big white bag has rocks to hold down the Cypress knees. THis is barely working and I might need to change my ideal about the tank design and axe that super cool wood.

4/12/2020 this shot had bad lighting on it but it is indeed clear.
60074-albums14790-picture72551.jpg

before
3/24/2020
60074-albums14790-picture72466.jpg

3/27/2020 Using Clarity and not clearing up - enough

60074-albums14790-picture72478.jpg

Thank you. I am annoyed that the DW isn't getting water logged enough to stay down. Either needing to ditch it which would be really sad, or find a way to attatch it to a stone to hold it down.

In terms of using a slate on the bottom, doubt a xxxlong screw would stay in the wood, its old wood and sooo dry I think it would pop out pretty quickly. So might need to use silicone and a very heavy stone.

Drill a few holes in it and fishing line it to something heavy.

That is a good idea. I chuckle every time I think about this piece of wood. DH and I were at ReStore long while back and I saw that and said hey look at that its so interesting, it is Cypress Knees wood from Florida swamps probably. The price mentioning that it was $29.00.

He said that's crazy who would want to pay that much for that thing? :angel:

Meeee..... and it was on sale for 23ish! And now it's in the family room and he gets to see it every day. He also wonders why it sticks out the top of the tank... and why there is a big white bag in there, rofl. :whistle:

Sheephishly smiling turns into a mad scientist echoing evil laugh. :brows:

Feeling a bit panicky - I am close to drowning in Endler and Guppy fry. Head is spinning over how fast they have babies.

Will likely be removing all but a couple males from the Fry tank. Then select a few of the less colorful females and move them along.

My fear is I will miss some amazing males from the babies. That was the whole reason for getting these females which I know is how I am ending up drowning in babies.

Mistake or made genious, lol jk, not a mad genious but they have been already making about half real keepers and the others just okay nice.

Presently got the 20G shut down last night and using the filter on the 5G spec V, in addition the the regular Spec built in filter.

On a positive note I am rotating through the tanks doing deep cleaning and it is going well. I found my xlong Fluval Edge Vac and will be using it on the other tanks now and get them cleaned. In a couple weeks I will likely need to go out of town and it would be great to not worry (as much) about the tanks.

With the shelter in place I have a couple other projects around the house like cleaning out rooms and go through excess stuff and purge/ spring clean.

It has been cold often (winter will be past in a month Mid May) and we have a couple nice days ahead to really get things done.

Trying to do half day focus on tanks and fish related things, and the other the projects which are screaming my name. Progress is happening all around me. Wish it was faster, but I will be happy with just seeing things getting done big and small.

Endlers in 80G River tank. Day before got new babies and the bigger one near center is the tank in circle is the size of the ones from Earlier when I put them all in the tank.
60074-albums14790-picture72568.jpg

Much money in them? Got some Moscow blue guppies given to me but one of the society guys has managed to get some blue shrimp. Hoping they go well so I can get some :)

Nope.

These groups were all items that were cheap, so many offered no one was buying them. There is a maximum of 5 items PER MEMBER - at out mini auction meetings. But the month before CAS mtg had been cancelled due to a snow storm, so there was tons of everything.

If people buy these, they are doing something similar to me trying to breed their own pretty fish, or using for feeders.

So I guess it might be smart someday to get something I can actually earn money breeding, lol.

People will buy the Pandas, but wouldn't you know it, these seem to be taking a long time growing up. I should move them to the bigger tank, instead of doing almost daily pwc.

Last edited:
So what do you do with the extra endler/ guppy’s?

That’s always held me back from housing livebearers. I think I would feel bad having to cull or sell them as feeders but kinda seems like you have to right?

That’s why I decided if I was going to breed something it would be cherry shrimp. I knew on the off chance they got out of control I’d always be able to find someone to take them!

I almost bred glofish once accidentally. (Spawned in quarantine). Was so neat watching the babies until my Prefilter fell off one night and the filter ate them :(

So what do you do with the extra endler/ guppy’s?

That’s always held me back from housing livebearers. I think I would feel bad having to cull or sell them as feeders but kinda seems like you have to right?

That’s why I decided if I was going to breed something it would be cherry shrimp. I knew on the off chance they got out of control I’d always be able to find someone to take them!

I almost bred glofish once accidentally. (Spawned in quarantine). Was so neat watching the babies until my Prefilter fell off one night and the filter ate them :(

:eek: That IS sad.

The initial idea is to breed them - or shall we say let them breed, to get pretty males for the tank.

Then sort out the ones I wanted and take the ones I do not want the the CAS / Colorado Aquarium Society meetings and be rid of them at the mini auction.

Someone always takes them (hahaha me in February). Even if the bag of fish sold for $1.00 / which min. is usually $3/4, the first dollar goes to the club and I get rid of fish, lol. Win win. (y)

Perfect plan pre-virus disaster.

We had to stop meetings and cancel (postpone, reschedule indefinitely) our Spring Auction 2020. Meeting also has the mini auction can get rid of 5 bags or items (groups of bags/things as a lot) per member. So there was an easy plan in place.

It IS just so crazy how many fish these guys can create.

The other part of the plan is that if they were in with Congo Tetras likely many less fry would make it. Natural. Keeping some nice females for keeping up the group.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goal was a ton of males flittering around, showing off their gorgeous colors making the tank just fun and pretty. It was around a 6 -8 month plan from ~ last October. They were initially mostly Cobra/ Snakeskin and although really amazing looking not really all the colors I was looking for.

Then I got the extra fish from Feb and the whole thing had exploded.

The initial fish I raised have grown and now have their own babies coming in these groups in the 30G Waterbox tank. Should be showing colors any time so I can divide the group / take out the males.

In the mean time a zillion little ones. Babies are pregnant really.

Livebearers - Every time I see, Is my Guppy pregnant, how can I save the babies..., etc. I want to say DON'T do it you will be sorry!

But it is so cool to see the tiny babies, have the experience and how the tiny babies get color and grow up, so fun.

As a 8 or 9 yo kid I would wander the neighborhood asking people if they wanted any Guppies, lol. (Times were different back then.)

It might have only been once or twice but the memory sticks. Probably lugging an old pickle jar, rofl... I found a couple people interested but mostly no's!

The only water dechlorinator was Instant DeChlor in a blue green bottle and I would tell the people how to take care of them :rolleyes: (sound familiar?)

https://www.wecoaquatics.com/grid?lightbox=i01gkb

Funny memory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shrimp are 100% better to raise. I agree completely. But it is really hard to see them from across the room, lol!

You don't end up as an aquarium hobbyist saying, there are just too darn many of these shrimp and no one wants them.

The other reason I love them is easy maintenance, small amounts of water to change, very fast to do and lots fit in a small tank.

Libertybelle, I hope your new shrimp are happy and healthy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom