Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow - well done there!

I keep eyeing off setting up the 5gal tank again on kitchen bench (already picked a spot :) ) but setting up and maintaining not so keen on. A nice shrimp tank possible as well maybe.

Yes, kind of - I get carried away. Clean glass, vac tank bottom, etc, etc and end up spending more time than large tank somehow [emoji6] I must get it out though. Tank is just sitting there ready to go.

It seems I come back here to ruminate on many things.

Higher grade PRL E2 her designation
https://jtibee.com/epages/5d8d722b-...b-1e21-44f3-9edd-1dfde4add597/Products/PRL-E2

These guys are really nice. And I have a gift coming from a daughter which would be a package of these guys $120 for 6+1 including overnight shipping about a ($40 cost)

Or a package of 40 Golden Bee shrimp incl. overnight mail 100.

Or $75 for 40 Bloody Mary shrimp - I think also with overnight mail.

What should I do... I have been trying to decide for 2 weeks.

PRL very special shrimp high grade and more expensive than I might usually purchase - taking out the 40 cost makes the about 80 for 6 for $13.33

A good deal though a bit insane to do it. Plus if I have to go out of town for parent health situation they could die from lack of proper care if I am gone too long.

So leaning away from these PRL for now to the others. Though when someone else is paying, it is tempting :angel:

The prices for the Golden Bee shrimp is hugely cheaper than at the lfs, they are around $10-15 each and seller has them for larger package deal at 2.50 each - similar great deal with the Bloody Mary shrimp 1.87 She could buy me the Golden Bees and I buy the Bloody Mary shrimp overnight shipped, and yes she is a very wonderful daughter.

Or for 89$ I could buy a fancy DW lol The DW trees are man made into these forms but check out their page and how many really interesting types they are selling.

I would rather have the shrimp and skip the unnecessary expensive decor. But I like it...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-D...917755?hash=item261dcfd7fb:g:NiUAAOSwHZpc7C6M

For extra fun "sort" the order of the products by highest cost first...

https://www.ebay.com/str/BONSAI-DRIFTWOOD?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

To be honest I am a bit shy on expensive shrimp which could up and die. It has been around a year since the huge PRL disaster, I think (tried forgetting it actually). Have traumatic shrimp death scaredness condition. :hide:

But I think I am ready to try again!

It was 7 shrimp for $160 (with postage) for first lot. Just checking as fell off my lunch seat :)

ROFL no, no, no, just $120 total for the 6+1 shrimp. Ellen Wang shrimp - very special shrimp. ;)

And since the time you fell off your lunch seat I may have found a better value price for the little gems - PRL. Taking a bit of time to decide on a high priced acquisition just in case I have to be gone for a little while.

Really I just wanted a really great quality PRL, but not quite that price range.

I didn't order the Golden Bee Shrimp this week as our weather is below icy cold tomorrow and could be chilly in traveling Friday. 24F / -4.5C. They are cheap and fun looking. It would be lovely to see them in my tank.

So auction day at CAS and I won the raffle

A Waterbox Clear 2418 for FW tank and stand

Retail value 299. for the tank and 399. for the stand, and missed out on the light to go along with it because it never arrived before the auction day and they decided to use it for a future prize. But WOW, what an amazing thing.

What does a person do when they are wanting to reduce the number of tanks they have set up and running, and then wins a tank one year - the 48" Wine Glass Tank, and another year wins another tank?! Hmmm?

Then this is my strange day...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-a-very-strange-day-370496.html

and my Public service announcement
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ords-and-power-strips-370497.html#post3531156

Oh and I got the TDS meter so easy to use and a pH meter (more complicated to use). Which I had ordered in the mail this past week.

Interesting findings.

Tap had 33 or 31 TDS.

Tanks varied widely, most looking like I need to catch up on water changes - do a much better job in that area.

Have to locate my distilled water to get the pH meter set up. I forgot to grab a jug from the store the past 2 trips to the grocery.

Here is the tank in the beige color - I love it!
60074-albums14791-picture72274.jpg

https://www.waterboxaquariums.com/product/clear-2418/

Last edited:
Wow - another tank [emoji4]

Next auction I’m sitting at your table [emoji6]

Can’t remember on TDS - is that ok / low?

Well doesn't this extra tank mess up my intermediate planning?!!!?!

LOL - 5 tanks by 2020 hahahaha! (not counting one Betta as previously discussed)

Not that I am exactly complaining!!!

Dang, what a lucky time! I spend $20 which nets me 24 tickets. You know for the good of the club.

Anyway, such a wonderous thing, that I won the low iron tank, something I really wanted but didn't want to spend that much money on at this time - So I shut the door on the idea for awhile.

normally in life, I am not unlucky, but would not have thought myself lucky. I am almost embarrassed to buy tickets next big auction. (almost :eek:)
---------------------------------

Yes, tap TDS is really low. I think 150 is an average tank. TDS measures any dissolved solids in the water so you do not know what exactly it is IN the water. Requiring more tests.

I do know that usually my water has nearly 0 KH /Calcium. So I have a good guess what isn't in the water!

Although having 3 tank builds in the hopper is a nice problem to have, it is still a little bit of a problem. $$$

---------------------------------

Well, maybe finally getting the 80G tank put on the stand after a year and a month.

It will change the grouping of fish and I hope it is a good change.

Not so keen on adding any further large tanks to the mix. Due to my hectic schedule and family stuff, have decided on not keeping the super expensive shrimp. Will be ordering the Golden Bee shrimp in the next day or 2.

There are too many tanks right now with all the Guppy QT. So if the fish move Big fish move to the 80G and the little ones to the 72G I can shut down 2 and then just decide what to do with the Guppy fry. I wanted to get a good number of colorful males for the 72G, and pick just a few females if there are some higher colors.

Then select a couple males to combine.

There may be a plan for the big version of the SW tank to go live somewhere else. And I would be back to a smaller "nano version". My head is spinning with how much work I am having with the schedule I have and the "work" needed for the tanks right now. There is TOO much going on.

Do I count the QT tank, the green water tank, the other QT tank!?

So in the next 2 weeks hoping to be rid of the excess. At least 2 weeks after getting the fish into the 80G.

I just need a bunch of nano Cories to go to QT and maybe a group of Neon Green Rasbora / Microdevario Kubotai. And a couple Clown Loaches to round out the 4 or 5 I have for the 80G. Then I should not need to do any more fish for awhile.

Snowballing. Almost feeling like the big snowball is rolling down the hill after me! We'll see.

Cough, fish room, cough :)

Guys here reckon for FW they just walk from tank to tank with little pump out to garden, fill up from water barrel of aged water and all done in an hour!

Someone mentioned to me that I offer a slide show tour of my "fish room" which is basically my living room, aka the Aquarium, lol.

Well today did try to make headway but found I somehow didn't measure the Calcium correctly - went overboard and ended up with the pH being too high and had to do a second 60% pwc...

THEN I noticed too much particles which means the filter isn't working well, too clogged usually... Then had to clean out the FX-5 canister filter and I removed a big pouch of water conditioning crystals which did seem to be blocking flow.

Then I didn't open both the intake and out flow on the canister and the darn thing pumped almost all the water out of the canister and THEN after fixing that it filled the tank and blew all the crap everywhere in the tank!

FRICK! The fish are stressed. I am stressed.

Good news is that the tank has had a refresh on the water. and the flow is really running better - found a bunch of Anubias roots growing into the intake and pulled those out.

Geez I'm rung through the ringer. Fish I believe feel the same way.

Spent almost all day on one part of the project. 1 pwc instead of 6. Worst headache!

Hopefully the fish will survive the mess.

Added a handful of banana, some Guava and a huge IAL. Maybe will help get the pH down some soon, but gradually.

No fish room!!!

Already started last night trying to reduce the number of tanks (the surplus not being used ones). We'll see how strong my will is. :/

pH went down slightly with the water change, which was how it was supposed to work. Haven't tested the pH since the filter clean out. Wanted to give it a bit to cycle through the water.

Some of the fish seem to be calming down. Feeling a bit better about that.

Just checked again on pH and it went down just a little more so I think that is a good sign.

Other topic is the new fancy Waterbox tank. I just do not know what I really want to do with that tank.

Options
awesome aquascape and shrimp nano fish display

Shrimp only - seems a little lacking in a 30G

Guppy fry grow out with shrimp Seems a waste of a great tank. Though I only want to try out a few generations of the female mommas fry I have - to get more males for the 72G.

Maybe a breeding tank for a select few Guppies for awhile. Then change to something else.

It is large enough with 40 Golden Bee Shrimp I plan to get, that the larger sized shrimp would be fairly safe.

Lots more to consider.

Watched a couple youtube offerings from green aqua and it was a showing of aquascaping master demonstration and then a discussion of aquascaping for contests.

Beginning to look into CO2 opportunities.

Lots going on there! Sometimes I dream of air-powered filters at a ‘simpler’ time but air stones used to block up, air pump flood, etc, etc :)

Yes, I remember I could do 2-3 cups (as in a 20 ounce size) of water out of my SW tank and in 5 minutes be done. And bought the SW so it meant no mixing) That I miss.

Got a new 3G Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill round jar and lid at the Goodwill thrift store brand still in the wrapper - I think a bunch of new stuff comes from Target. $5.99 regularly 14. or 19.99 depending on where you shop.

And found a big, tall, glass container - looks like an old fashioned canning jar with the old style metal latching top and rubber seal - Le Parfait "super" 3 liter container. One site says $30.00 but on sale for $22. for 2.99 like new.

Thinking a cool little enclosed terrarium.

Got my Isopod Powder Orange Rollie Pollies - reorganized to their new home as well as left a colony in the updated old rectangle vase. Plus 3 starter colonies I hope to sell to pay for their original cost. My 2 groups I purchased, definitely at least doubled in size.

There are Springtails which help in the janitorial aspects of the Isopods container. Divided the colony to the terrariums and the starter cultures. Fed some to the baby Guppies and they loved them!

Having a high tide of frustration this past couple weeks in the tanks.

The sad one which I know is not my fault is the Imported Thai Betta Phoenix.

Over the past few months, his couple of bumpy lumps on either side of his body are growing. He seems thinner also. His water is good, never been in with any other fish. It is just a year I have had him and worked so hard to get him better after the shipping near death.

In researching it seems that Dragonscale and marble gene Betta are affected by this problem. Not specifically deadly but the growth increases can /will usually cause internal problems and then death. :( So I am sad and disappointed.

That was the easy one.

Now in the other tanks I have lost a couple fish in different tanks.

Another Betta, Galaxy Koi, also marble gene a similar but different problem, has a tumor it seems. One side of the body /chest abdomen an increasingly large protrusion.

A check of the tanks indicate the parameters are in order, except the wine glass was at .25 ammonia after feeding heavily yesterday, so pwc returned it back to 0.

The fish looks miserable. Can still swim when she wants to but hangs at the top in the plants. Have added Epsom salts and been feeding Spirulina Brine Shrimp and Seaweed Extreme to try and make sure the fish has smooth bowel movements.

Unfortunately I can't see too much in the tank like how the poop looks because of the plants are thick.

The Mystery snail died earlier and caused an ammonia spike. But the Ghost Shrimp are everywhere in the tank. And are doing okay.

I will be just getting extra water changes in all the tanks.

gotta go... more later.

Nope - the not fun part...

Had been having some pretty good times there for awhile. Started adding fish again and the complications started adding as well.

Excepting the Bettas which are a year, and then about 9-12 months. So far Picasso (Thai Plakat Betta) is also marble gene and, fingers crossed he's looking healthy...

Treating Mae, the Galaxy Koi Betta with the API internal external bacterial infection medication doxycycline hyclate right now. She doesn't seem worse, but not better either.

Alas - been so, so, SO busy working the past 7 weeks. Plus personal stuff causing the wee bit of extra time to get sucked up.

I found an old thread from 2016 and there has been ZERO change where I am now with the SAME issues. I would say, "what does that mean?", but I think it is because I am a sucker for water things and fish and YES I rather to the tank stuff and feel I am hopeful to have time, but as anticipated / thought all that time ago, moving forward, I still have less and less "spare" time.

Frustration is still there though.

Thinking of shaking things up more than what would be a comfortable level. The internal struggle of how I would like things and how things can be - are growing farther apart. Changing priority in life.

Irritation is a word, and mostly just the frustration in the widening gap. Musings.

Back
Top Bottom