Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My fish have packed their bags ready to come across for the brine shrimp! Can you give us a quick list of tanks? I think you had 4 - I know there was the SW one.

Yes the fun part was working on the tanks not the full day of real work, ;)
Didn't see anybody dead this morning so I have that going for me so far!

When I was cleaning the tank this weekend my hubbie commented " wow looks great and nobody's died for the past few months".

Only with aquariums could this comment be appropriate or appreciated.

So true T. :lol:

Delapool missed that post.

But here is the too long list atm

Largest to smallest

72G Oceanic Bowfront
Mixed Community Neons and Angel fish plus others
60074-albums11380-picture70876.jpg

46G Bowfront bare bottom just a holding tank really, right now acting as a holding /QT. Soaking a bunck of the new DW too.

Thinking to make it a cool water tank for a maybe couple fancy Goldies Rather maybe do this when I up grade the 72G to hundred++ and use the 72G for 3 ) and White Cloud Mountain Minnows and my giant fat Spotted (Neon tetra sucking) Raphael Catfish. Still thinking about the Goldies. No pic as it isn't very pretty, just functional.

12G Edge
60074-albums13090-picture70966.jpg

Now has plants and wood and the new 7 Sundadanio Axelrodi - Blue Neon

11.4G SW Cycling, now cleared up but do not a a newer pic loaded

60074-albums14535-picture70965.jpg

6.6G Edge Tangerine Tiger and Boraras Brigittae 2 Moth/Anchor catfish
60074-albums9764-picture70963.jpg

6.6G SW Nano - I have cleaned the glas and add a mini mag float - so much better
60074-albums14597-picture70861.jpg

6.6G Edge glass tank part only SW with bubbler Live Rock and Macro Algae pods and about 8 of these guys, another storage thing I am jokingly calling the vase (so I don't have to admit to a tank)

60074-albums14597-picture70859.jpg

60074-albums14535-picture70956.jpg

A 5G Spec V Now just has this guy
60074-albums13946-picture70969.jpg

60074-albums14621-picture70811.jpg

1 5G bucket of plants, one from the 12G and the 6.6G rescapes - probably getting worked back into the tanks.

1 5G bucket Outdoor pond plants

1 Planted /floating plants 1.5-1.75G common Cherry Shrimp bowl like a brandy snifter.

It is frightening... every week theres a new container of water. It is like Tribles from ST.

Last edited:
What I think I should have

12G Edge PRL Shrimp tank with a blue shrimp too. USA Red, White, and Blue!!!-

Nano SW tank ~25G

Big huge tank 125-250G Warm water DT Discus

Misc. Nano tank of cool little fish like the Sundadanio, Boraras Brigitae, Annies Gobys, and some kind of shrimp.

Maybe the 72G as a cool water tank.

An outdoor little pond 125 (already have)-500G

And I have cut back.

Certainly someone has more LOL.

The Cherry shrimp are probably going to auction along with a whole bunch of Green Lantern Platy. They are gorgeous and I can't find a home for them at $1.00 per fish. Opaline Gourami, Trio of Rio Otappa Mexico Swordfish, Going to sell off the Extra plants in the Vase

Combine the SW into one tank, the 12G.

Move the Spec V along to my DD.

Clear out a bucket.

That should take me down 4 tanks. Spring will be here in 2 months. That's 5

Way more manageable.

If I was retired, I would have a fish room and (maybe temp controlled) green house, and play with the fish A LOT! Have an indoor pond and a tortoise area.

Right now I am considering enclosing an area under the big deck for a year round "room", not quite a sun room but something which I could be more in the light of day in the colder times of the year, and almost outside. It won't be this year too much going on, but maybe 2018 for that winter.

Ginormous fish tank and little year round pond, with a lounger and little table and chairs. Smiling just thinking about it!

If I retired I would play with plants, tanks, and pug. And paint. And cook. And go back to work in a month when I had blown all my money. Lol

If I retired I would play with plants, tanks, and pug. And paint. And cook. And go back to work in a month when I had blown all my money. Lol

Tsk, tsk! It would be so nice to do though.

(sadly all the raffle tickets I got through buying stuff at stores won ... some ... fish food and not another tank).

... And go back to work in a month when I had blown all my money. Lol

ROFL Yeah probably, hahahaha.

Tsk, tsk! It would be so nice to do though.

(sadly all the raffle tickets I got through buying stuff at stores won ... some ... fish food and not another tank).

Pretty scared, I have a big Auction coming on the 1st of April.

And then the Aquatic Gardener's Association Convention at the end of April.

Looking at a possibility of CO2 $$$, then fish $$$ and shrimp $$$ and the Conv. $$$ (just for the entrance and class fees not including plants) :eek:.

I gotta go to work more!!! Guess not retiring any time soon ;) Darn!

Exciting that my Plecos found the clay cave I got for them a while back!

Looks like there is a camper in there, meaning the poppa fish is guarding the eggs.

Not too sure who is who, though so will have to see. The one in there camping I thought was a girl, maybe just a late bloomer. Or the mom laying eggs???

Really do not know mych about raising these guys, guess I will need to find out more just in case. There was the one baby albino Pleco fry I saw a couple weeks back and haven't seen since :(. So I would have to try to time the egg hatching and save these little guys. And I thought there would be no way they would be breeding in this tank. Well, I guess breeding but not surviving.

Just one more thing to distract me, hahaha. On the fence about it, since there are many Plecos, there will likely be a long amount of time they would breed and I do not have to save them now.

AHHHHH omgg there is a big patch (2" x 1") of orange eggs in there and it IS Mr. Bushy nose fanning his fins in the cave OMGG!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I am excited, what can I say?!

You know you are gonna wanna save all of them too.

WHY!???????! Why do I want to do that, lol.

Why is it 81F today, on a day I am supposed to be scooping snow away from the ground so I can plant potatoes or cabbages, why am I sweating on a day it should be cool or cold outside, hahaha.

Probably because I just changed 15 - 5 gallon buckets of water into my 72G tank.

Why I am sweating...? the other reason is stress.

Did a pwc on the SW nano and added fresh evap water to the 12G SW cycling tank.

Then went to the SW macroalgae "vase" and I realized the Macroalgae Caulerpa was melting, and I was just getting there a bit too late as a bunch of it underneath the more solid stuff I could pull out intact, had turned to green and clear sludge-aceous (just made that word up to suit my word needs) muck.

Thinking many bad, inappropriate to share, words... The cloud of green and translucent muck subsided quickly and settled all over the nice green, teaming with pods and life shortly ago, at least 2 days ago.

Plenty of nightmare stories from SW keepers about Caulerpa going sexual aka melting.

There was still masses of pods when I stuck my gloved hand in there to pull it out.

That is my quandry... what do I do to save the good pods and suck up the sludge-aceous muck? Off to the SW forum to seek guidance.

Last edited:
TMaier, you had, a short time ago, asked about adding KH back into the tank, I use Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH in my FW tanks. Basically just calcium to give you a higher pH. It doesn't cloud the tank and dissolves quickly.

Just add to your tank as directed for the number of gallons, wait a while, test and see if it is where you want it, if not do another dose, etc.

As mentioned is says for marine but that you use it for FW is fine, been using it for years now for my non-existent tapwater kH. My tapwater kH = 0 almost all year, sometimes there is a hint of color for a split second but it doesn't change. Blessing and a curse!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom