Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping incl/ the mysterious corner in the yard

I saw bonsai trees (no leaves) at lfs (largest was $250) but was also wondering how long all the fine branches would last. Would look amazing with moss or something on it though. Except I'd be stressing out a branch would break.

If you could come up with a hardwood bonsai. Yes those do look amazing.

I am always torn between making a "natural" looking environment like pretty much every tank I have or like this where it looked like a forest. Or a place you could walk through or be in like a picture of a landscape.
60074-albums14480-picture69706.jpg

60074-albums14480-picture69705.jpg

I didn't have the time or patience to keep up the work on it. Heading to the AGA convention, and hoping to take the class on nano scaping.

I like the layered landscape ones but find mine end up as a natural look (ie all over the place). I find val sneaks along the bottom and then makes a drive for the surface so I have to start pruning but I always find I like a couple and let them grow.

Yeah the Rastaman type scapes are so amazing to see, but I can't help but feel like the fish aren't going to be very happy with that minimalistic all open space.

~~~~

I just realized my Nitrates were pretty high on my 72G around 80-100, did a huge pwc, over feeding I think and using a food I believe is micron pearls which are really good food but turn to ammonia pretty fast. Plus I need to move over some fish to the 46G but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe tonight I will move a few.

Did a big 50G pwc and used the canister valve to flush the canister filters as well.

Nitrates are at around 50 now it looks like, thinking of one more pwc of around 1/3, I do not have enough Epsom Salt to add back in for any more water than that amount and will need to use a little Cichlid minerals also just for this extra pwc.

I need to do a test on the 46G before I add the fish to it. See how close the water is and do a filter clean on its AC 110 too, its cruddy.

Drives me crazy, the fish act like they are starving, and I know they eat like pigs. And I want to feed them and know I shouldn't. !!!!!!!

Oh, I did an ammonia test on the new Amazonia Light and right now after sitting the bucket a few days it is a .50 ammonia. Gonna give it a rinse too tonight.

Just took a bunch of pics and got them to the computer but need to load them to the albums and I will start a thread about the Light substrate. Maybe a couple days yet as lots of work for the next few days and having company tomorrow which means some extra cleaning. :(

Happy to have seen my Fuzzy Chiton in my SW nano today, I saw a dime sized fuzzy thing in my rock in the almost dark was worried of what the mystery thing was.

After turning on the lights I realized what it was. Hadn't seen it forever and thought it must have died, but nope it is munching some stuff on the rock. Mine has some algae on its shell so it really is fuzzy looking. It looks like it has grown a little bit.

Oh, I did an ammonia test on the new Amazonia Light and right now after sitting the bucket a few days it is a .50 ammonia. Gonna give it a rinse too tonight.

Just took a bunch of pics and got them to the computer but need to load them to the albums and I will start a thread about the Light substrate. Maybe a couple days yet as lots of work for the next few days and having company tomorrow which means some extra cleaning. :(

Does the Amazonia have ferts added or is that natural ammonia? That's quite a bit!

Quick pic

60074-albums13946-picture70937.jpg

Yes, like a pellet of baked soil, not like a ceramic type pellet like my shrimp tank Up Aqua sand. It breaks up quite easily with pressure turns to silt. They look like someone took a bit of clay based soil and rolled it around to a little ball, a million times.

Up Aqua Sand like maybe fired balls do not mush into soil. Barely can crush. 1- 1.5mm
60074-albums14480-picture69694.jpg

The bad bag of the Amazonia I got, seems like it was mouldy smelling and barely had shape and would mush to silt with any pressure at all, even with setting stones or DW on it. I am 110% glad I didn't use it.

Soil is not my favorite substrate. Am not a huge fan, though I understand the usefulness (being a gardener), just do not like the cloudy mess when moving stuff around.

When I had my lower, couch sitting view 37G (lower stand), I could just reach my arm in any time and move anything around, which I did most weeks. Now with bigger or taller tanks or the Edge tanks design, it's harder to reach around in there and move anything so I do not do it as much. Soil might be alright.

Yes, I can see the attraction with soil but it's not preferred substrate for me. The baked soil pellets staying in shape sound nice. Maybe better than clay but not turning to silt. I guess anything beats gravel.

I've wondered on mine if just increasing the substrate depth has helped. Before I guess it was a couple of inches or less but is now maybe 3 inches or so and seems easy to work with. Possibly as I like to get quite big plants (memo to self next time I buy delicate, small plants at auctions).

I'm constantly pruning the plants back and find the clays/gravels good (no cloud).

Not sure if you saw my other post about it but I will be going to the Aquatic Gardener's Association Convention which happens to be here in Denver and we are having people from around the world coming to speak, teach and demo. And bringing plants from everywhere and I am beyond excited about it. Thinking of maybe CO2 for the 72G.

Last edited:
Newest thing I did today.
60074-albums14535-picture70961.jpg

Changed everything around.

Mr. Aqua will be the SW nano for now - at least after it is cycled and made ready for inhabitants.

The other tank was slid over to a little side table and we shall wait until everything is ready.
60074-albums14535-picture70959.jpg

Not even 2 hours later, looking so much better
60074-albums14535-picture70965.jpg

This is the basics, but not artfully arranged just yet.
60074-albums13090-picture70966.jpg

After looking at the Rock style, I would like to kinda do my own take on a Iwagumi. We have a nano tank show off for the upcoming CAS meeting in ~7 weeks and I think that would look great in a 6.6G Edge. And I could try to grow some Dwarf Hair Grass maybe. My competitive nature is revving up.

And the 6.6G right now. With a Nerite snail, a handful of Tangerine Tiger Shrimp, 2 Anchor /Moth Catfish and about 12-15 Boraras Brigitae.

60074-albums9764-picture70963.jpg

Went fishing today... :brows:

Called the Boulder lfs and they had the fish I have been trying to get for quite awhile. Sundadanio Axelrodi - Neon Blue. Healthy looking. The time I made the pilgrimage before ended up with fish floating sideways and being blown in the current, when looking at them, and the guy told me he really couldn't sell them like that (- good, glad he wouldn't).

This time they had been in the store for a couple to 3 weeks and were looking fine. Wanted a couple Clown Loaches but they only had the larger ones for $30. I will grow my own CL thank you very much.

Got a cute little snapper
60074-albums13946-picture70969.jpg

Had stopped at a big box store while I was in town and they had just unpacked the new shipment of Bettas. A couple Bettas tried to get my attention and I just moved past VERY, very quickly, though I will admit to rubber-necking.

Went to the other independent lfs in town and they had moved since the last time I had been there (over a year +) Previously had bad, poor and great service, on different visits, so it isn't my first choice. They did have some Glass Cats I picked up 3 and they had only 1 Clown Loach ($6 - more like it) about 3 inches and took him as well, then they had just received their live Brine shrimp so I got a scoop of them for .99.

Went home and gave all the tanks live Brine Shrimp and boy oh boy were the fish excited!!! I was getting high fives, winkie faces, and thumbs up all around!!!

Added the new Sundadanios and Glass Cats to the 12G Edge. Added a DW, the Buce on Cholla wood and a couple handfuls of plants out of the bucket to make sure it would be more cozy for them as they like it dim and with plants.

CPO to the Spec V, moved the female Swordtail back to the 72G and did a pwc of 33% not in that order.

Things are looking okay so far this soon into them getting settled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom