Baby Whale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I was browsing a website when I came across a baby whale I was amazed. I immediately thought that would be amazing if I could keep one. Anyone know what to feed them and if I can keep them in a 55 gallon planted with:
Chili Rasbora x10
Pygmy Spotted Rasbora x10
Ember Tetra x10
Oto x6
Green Spot Betta x1
Salt and Pepper Cory x6
Marbled Hatchet x6
And maybe some zebra loaches.

You should be fine as long as you have a few caves and plants a baby whale should be fine :)

5 gallon planted(6 Pygmy Cories, 1 Betta,and 2 ADFs)
10 gallon ( 12 Pygmy Cories and pair of Kribensis )

I would say no. These guy's get really big and require special feeding. They can become aggressive and don't tolerate tank mate's well. They're the same as my elephant nose and should be kept in species only tank's. Sorry

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

I saw that the baby whales got 4-4.5"

No, they definitely get a lot larger than that. My friend kept one which got to 10 inches and he had to keep it on it's own due to aggression.

After speaking to my friend he says you can get some that grow to 5 inches but they are territorial so it's something to watch out for.

I guess I got lucky with mine than he was fine with 20 CPD,2 BN, 16 neons, and 6 rainbows in a 55 gallon. I had him for 6 yrs and he got to be 4.5" and ate whatever I fed him but than again I target fed him too live brine shrimp,frozen brine shrimp,NLS Thera A+ pellets, and omega one flakes.

5 gallon planted(6 Pygmy Cories, 1 Betta,and 2 ADFs)
10 gallon ( 12 Pygmy Cories and pair of Kribensis )

It depends on the species, there are a couple of species labeled as "baby whales"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, they definitely get a lot larger than that. My friend kept one which got to 10 inches and he had to keep it on it's own due to aggression.

Could it have been a Dolphin Mormyrid?

What do baby whales look like? I've never heard of them. Scientific name? Other names? They sound cool.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

All of these fish should be kept species only. Not only because of aggressive tendencies and overall size of most, but like other gymnotiformes they generate an electric field which most other fish do not appreciate and often injur themselves trying to escape it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of these fish should be kept species only. Not only because of aggressive tendencies and overall size of most, but like other gymnotiformes they generate an electric field which most other fish do not appreciate and often injur themselves trying to escape it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 totally agree.

Ok, so no baby whale:(. I'm trying to find some unusual fish that are great with other fish. Would get more tanks but my mom says no more tanks, I already have five in my room (it's a little crowded) so oh well.

Back
Top Bottom