New Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello y'all, anyways I just bought a $25 discus (either a Pigeon blood or a red melon) and I want to make sure my stocking list is alright for a 55g with one discus . Here it is
Chili or phoenix rasbora x10
Pygmy spotted rasbora x10
Ember tetra x10
Otos x6
Bumble bee goby x5 or peacock goby x2
Salt and pepper cory x8
Valliant Chocolate gourami x4 or chocolate gourami x4
Black neon tetra x6
Ornate ctenopoma x1 (maybe)
Zebra blenny (freshwater) x1 (maybe)
Various types of plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and I forgot about the whip tail catfish x1

And here is the discus

Attachments

• 1450042659014.jpg
    1450042659014.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 72
In the tank

Attachments

• 1450058401946.jpg
    1450058401946.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 68
Nice discus! I wish I had some advice for you, you've been super helpful to me and I haven't even started. :fish2:

I don't know much on em other than they like groups and higher temps 86°

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They can be kept in groups or singly, Brookster. They are kept in groups to spread aggression out so one individual isn't being picked on

I may be way off, but AqAdvisor threw a fit when I plugged in everything minus the maybes.

Temp would have to stay in the low 80s, pH would have to be fairly close to neutral, gobies prefer brackish water... At 121% stocked you'd have to perform frequent water changes. And you'd probably have to put up several slight breaks in the tank to avoid aggression with the schooling fish if the gouramis become breeding pairs.

I may be off my game and out of practice, but I figured any information is good information.

Best of luck!
Audrey

I may be way off, but AqAdvisor threw a fit when I plugged in everything minus the maybes.

Temp would have to stay in the low 80s, pH would have to be fairly close to neutral, gobies prefer brackish water... At 121% stocked you'd have to perform frequent water changes. And you'd probably have to put up several slight breaks in the tank to avoid aggression with the schooling fish if the gouramis become breeding pairs.

I may be off my game and out of practice, but I figured any information is good information.

Best of luck!
Audrey

Lol, I know but I have a good filter and will have a ton of plants. The heater is set on 82 and one side of the tank is about a degree lower then the other, water changes are gonna be busy no matter what bc of the discus and I might not do the gourami.

They can be kept in groups or singly, Brookster. They are kept in groups to spread aggression out so one individual isn't being picked on

Okie dokes

Honestly, even without the gobies or gouramis, it sounds like it's going to be a pretty awesome tank! Best of luck!

It's gonna look pretty cool. I'm planing a jungle on each side with an open space in the middle that is covered in a baby tears carpet

Lots of small schooling fish with a single senterpeice fish (discus)

Most of the fish on your list will not like the temp. that the discus needs. I would cut out all of the random fish that you have listed and just do a group of heat tolerant cories with the discus and some cardinal tetras and call it good. Discus do need groups. They don't need them to diffuse aggression, they are actually a social schooling animal that can get aggressive, but having a properly sized group solves that.

It's gonna look pretty cool. I'm planing a jungle on each side with an open space in the middle that is covered in a baby tears carpet

What kind of lighting is above this tank? What kind of ferts/CO2 regimen will be used for the DBT? You may want to consider a less demanding, low growing stem plant such as Staurogyne repens if you want a carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of lighting is above this tank? What kind of ferts/CO2 regimen will be used for the DBT? You may want to consider a less demanding, low growing stem plant such as Staurogyne repens if you want a carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a 24/7 LED Finnex Planted aquarium light and I keep it at max all day to make it look like sunlight and bring out colors and photosynthesis. I am using root tabs and Flourish and I am in the process of making a co2 setup. That's what I'm thinking if the baby tears don't work out

Most of the fish on your list will not like the temp. that the discus needs. I would cut out all of the random fish that you have listed and just do a group of heat tolerant cories with the discus and some cardinal tetras and call it good. Discus do need groups. They don't need them to diffuse aggression, they are actually a social schooling animal that can get aggressive, but having a properly sized group solves that.

I'm meeting where all the fish should be okay and I'm still working out the kinks. I like cardinals but I would love to have tiny .5-1.5" fish swimming around a giant (discus). I have heard conflicting information from different people and from what I've found it could be possible and I've seen a full grown discus by itself in a large amazon tank and I asked the workers there and they said they feed it bloodworms and they've had it for 3 years as the only discus in the tank.

I'm meeting where all the fish should be okay and I'm still working out the kinks. I like cardinals but I would love to have tiny .5-1.5" fish swimming around a giant (discus). I have heard conflicting information from different people and from what I've found it could be possible and I've seen a full grown discus by itself in a large amazon tank and I asked the workers there and they said they feed it bloodworms and they've had it for 3 years as the only discus in the tank.

See.. thing I've learned over my short run at the water hoarding thing.. they kind of like to be where they want to be temp wise. Same with me.. I'd die if it were to hot all the time or too cold all the time.. literally drop dead.. maybe it's a bit silly to think you can have it both ways?

Back
Top Bottom