Back Chambers of 14 Gallon Biocube - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
My nitrates have been somewhat high lately so I've begun to do two water changes a week till I get them down. Nothing has died so I'm assuming there has been an accumulation of build up in my back chambers. In chamber one I have a heater and a biocube filter made by oceanic. In chamber two I took out the bio-balls from day one and added live rock rubble. In chamber three is just the powerhead. Should I remove the biocube filter?

Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to better my back 3 chambers. I've heard of chemi-pure but I'm not too sure what that is going in the second chamber. Also I've heard of people floating bags of charcoal in chamber 1. What benefits would that have? and how often would I have to change it. Also I've heard of people putting "cheato" in the second chamber? I'm not really sure what that is either. I've read up on putting oceanic's protein skimmer in their too but I heard it's crap.

Thanks for the help!

I have a 29 gallon BC and have a protein skimmer (Oceanic it works well) in chamber 1, 1/2 bioballs and 1 bag of Chemi-Pure in 2, pump sits in 3. I also have a 12 gallon nano rimless in the office with chemi-pure in chamber 1, cheato in 2, pump in 3 and it works well. I have a light for cheato in the rimless but no light for the 29 BC. There is a spot on the back of the tank to get a fuge light although I am trying to not have to buy a chiller and don't want the extra temp in the tank for my seahorses.

Starchar said:
I have a 29 gallon BC and have a protein skimmer (Oceanic it works well) in chamber 1, 1/2 bioballs and 1 bag of Chemi-Pure in 2, pump sits in 3. I also have a 12 gallon nano rimless in the office with chemi-pure in chamber 1, cheato in 2, pump in 3 and it works well. I have a light for cheato in the rimless but no light for the 29 BC. There is a spot on the back of the tank to get a fuge light although I am trying to not have to buy a chiller and don't want the extra temp in the tank for my seahorses.

So no mesh filter? I have lr rubble in 2. Would it he if I sit a bag of chemo pure over that, and then a mesh filter over that (to catch the big food that gets through)? Also. Do you have your water level in chamber 3 in between the min max line? I know when you do this is what creates the fuge effect when it runs through but it's so loud! It sounds like someone's peeing. if I raised the water level all the way up and installed that stuff in FHAmber two would I still get the benefits ? (would enough water pass through chamber two and everything I have in it)

Back
Top Bottom