Back in the hobby - 20 gallon long build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
My apartment burned down and I stopped keeping tanks while I got back on my feet. I sold what I could and now I'm starting over.

I've decided to set up my 20L as a medium tech planted tank. Not sure what them I'm going for. Thoughts are appreciated. It is currently stocked with some guppies that were being used as feeders. This will change.

Currently running a HOB. The tank sits on my bar so probably no canister. I ordered a solar max dual T5HO. And a glass canopy. Substrate is black blasting sand.

Attachments

• 1404006745935.jpg
    1404006745935.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 1404006763090.jpg
    1404006763090.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 112
Sorry about your place but glad to hear you are back in the hobby! What plants do you plan on having?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I'm really terrible about updating! !!

The glass top arrived on Tuesday and every day I come home to check the mail. It is like Christmas!

The light arrived today. I ended up ordering a solar max t5 30 fixture. The bulb itself is 24 in at best. Additionally I thought I ordered the dual fixture but it was only one. Ugh. Back to the drawing board for lights.

As far as plants go I currently have an amazon sword, corkscrew val, dwarf sag, bacopa, anubis nana, bronze crypts, and rotala inca. I'd love to add some reds and purple. My boyfriend thinks the tank looks like a jungle already; but, nothing is scaped. I'm also really fond of jungles. They remind me of freedom.

Stocking..... I'm really tempted to stock three to four juvenile angels. I'm talking about the size of a quarter. They could grow out in this tank. I have an empty 55 that a coworker gave me after my place burned down. Thoughts on stocking?

u7yvete7.jpg

8y3anu8e.jpg

u4udesym.jpg

I forgot to mention that I really want to highlight the piece of driftwood and the rocks which aren't pictured here.

Yes! I was indeed thinking shrimp as well. I know the angels will nom on them.... but I'm banking on baby angels and tons of hiding places in the plants. Plus I want some nerites. Have you ordered anywhere?

Hmmm...I'm thinking even quarter size angels can be effective hunters. And they will grow rapidly.
I've ordered plants from AquariumPlants.com, Peabodys Paradise, and AquariumPlantsCentral.com. I've also obtained plants from other AA members and the gel packs from PetSmart.
I've ordered shrimp (RCS) from AA member JungleFowl. I've purchased RCS from the LFS but had a 66% mortality rate. Plus the ones from the LFS were about 4x the online cost which did not help. There are several other highly reputable shrimp sellers on this forum. Check out the AA Classified section for availability and seller reviews.
I don't own any nerites but check the classified section as well.

I'll definitely look around. If the Angels eat them it will be okay... fish have to eat too ;) I'll probably let them breed in a 10 and keep a colony going to replenish. Fingers crossed!

Okie doke! I ordered some RCS and some tiger nerites from eBay. I really wanted leopard nerite but the person splitting the order with me wanted tiger. I'll probably order some in a few weeks.

Aquabid is also a pretty good site. I find the prices there are cheaper because the sellers dont have to pay ebay and paypal fees. I have a flat rate box full of jungle val and cabomba coming this week from aquabid for 11 bucks free shipping

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I have ordered from InvertObsession twice on amazon.com. Highly recommend them. Really good pricing, best I've found online. Full DOA protection, didnt have that problem though. Also I have gotten 4-5 extra baby shrimp on top of my order both times. Its run by a young couple and all they do is sell shrimp, snails, and crayfish. He actually sent me a personalized email after to make sure everything arrived okay.

10 Gallon ; Marineland Penguin 150 ; Heater ; Sand Substrate ; 2 Zebra danios

Nice PH, well done ! I've been looking on both AB and eBay.

I will check them out Hulka. Out of the 15 shrimp arriving I'll only be keeping half. So I know I'll be ordering again.

I'm obsessed. I will be ordering this red package on Thursday. I'm not sure how many species of plants I can fit. Also I need to get a co2 set up.

Attachments

• 1404836094656.jpg
    1404836094656.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 48
Snails and shrimp arrived. Snails look great. Shrimp were completely DOA. Box crushed and no water in the bag

Back
Top Bottom