Back-up filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a scare with my 33 gallon tank a few weeks ago....came home from shopping & noticed the fish were acting strange (I only have 2 clownfish & a watchman goby in it). I checked the water, the temp, & finally realized the pump had stopped working. It is a whisper 30-60 gallons (I think)- old, but has 2 large filters. Anyway, I took it off, cleaned it & so far, it has been running fine. My dilemna is that I am going out of town for @ a week. I don't want to chance it going out again so I'm thinking I will get a backup. My initial thought was to get another filter of the same type- except Marineland has one with biowheels (Penguin Biowheel 350) that is updated. My other option is a HOT Magnum Canister by Marineland.... which I am having difficulty getting started.... will take it back to the store today if I can't get it to work. They are holding another one for me if I find that this one is defective (calling customer service soon). I've been told the canister is so much better than the other.... but, I've never had trouble with my old whisper & I do water changes @ every 4 weeks. I don't overload it so I know that helps. I only plan to put maybe one more fish in it ..... if I need to- a wrasse for brittleworms, maybe. I'd like to have clownfish babies one day:) .....oops, I digress. Anyway, I'd love an opinion on backup filters. I'd want to run both filters simultaneously but don't want to wear my fish out with the current. I also want it effective enough to keep the critters alive & well if the other goes out... I have a power head running now that I would take out when I add the other filter... What are your thoughts on this? It's a 33 gal. flatback hex.... very simple. The only other devices besides the filter & the powerhead are a heater and an airstone (on the 33 gal)- which I bought for the clownfish to play in but they've paid it no attention (they are still pretty little though- @ 10 mos). Is the whisper filter & a canister too much? AND while on the subject, should I put a backup (maybe the marineland biowheel Penguin 350) on my 55 gal? I've never had it go out... just blow bubbles when the water gets low and once the protein skimmer didn't come back on after a short power outage (but I wiggled it & it was fine)- it's a sump, by the way.
SO.... 1. Do most people have back up pumps?
2. Are my backup choices for the 2 tanks appropriate?
Thanks for any quick advice you can provide.... I leave in the morning.....

Back
Top Bottom