bacteria bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
looked over and noticed yesterday my 30g (which has high ammonia levels) is cloudy. It is a sign of a bacteria bloom from what I have read.

I am wondering if I should do another water change or let the bacteria breed some more.

a little history of the levels in that tank:

8/3 water change 1800hrs
8/3 tests 2315hrs pH 7 - ammonia .25 - nitrite 0 - nitrate 5
8/7 test 1215hrs pH 7.6 - ammonia 4 - nitrite .25 - nitrate 10
8/7 water change 1315hrs
8/9 test 2040hrs pH 7.8 - ammonia 2 - nitrite .5-1 - nitrate 40
8/12 test 1115hrs pH 7.4 - ammonia 1 - nitrite .5 - nitrate 20

so it seems like the tank is stabilizing after 3 days. Should I do a water change and throw things into chaos again?

looked over and noticed yesterday my 30g (which has high ammonia levels) is cloudy. It is a sign of a bacteria bloom from what I have read.

I am wondering if I should do another water change or let the bacteria breed some more.

a little history of the levels in that tank:

8/3 water change 1800hrs
8/3 tests 2315hrs pH 7 - ammonia .25 - nitrite 0 - nitrate 5
8/7 test 1215hrs pH 7.6 - ammonia 4 - nitrite .25 - nitrate 10
8/7 water change 1315hrs
8/9 test 2040hrs pH 7.8 - ammonia 2 - nitrite .5-1 - nitrate 40
8/12 test 1115hrs pH 7.4 - ammonia 1 - nitrite .5 - nitrate 20

so it seems like the tank is stabilizing after 3 days. Should I do a water change and throw things into chaos again?

You are doing great:D... I assume you have no fish in the tank...which is of course the best thing. Looks like your ammonia spiked and is coming down and nitrites coming up, all very good. You are nearing the end. You could let it run its course and watch it for the next few days. When you see your ammonia go to 0 then you know you are nearing then end.

I would let things run their course. :D

What are your plans once the cycle is complete?

oh no man I have fish in there. Rough guesstimate is 15 ranging from platies to barbs to tertra.

If the ammonia is coming down like this on it's own with the cloudy water it might be best not to mess with it.

I didn't let the tank cycle long enough so I am going through mini-cycles. So far the fish are not having strangely so I take it the chemistry is adjusting at a rate good for them.

I added 6 new fish on Saturday and no ill effects, I figured if the chemistry was that messed up they would be showing signs of it by now (after the stress of traveling an hour in a bag).

The three live plants I have in there are showing a little bit of stress.

oh man.... you need to do a huge water change right away. Ammonia and nitrites are highly toxic to fish. Leave the water level and inch or so below full fill to increase the oxygen in the water after the change. Do daily water changes to keep the levels as low as possible.

Please read this....it will be very helpful.
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

Even if the fish are not behaving strangely they are being poisoned. Their gills get fried by the ammonia and nitrites and they just stop breathing. Believe me, if you have 1ppm of ammonia and nitrites too, the last thing you should be doing is adding more fish, and to be sure, your water chemistry is not good for them. Fish don't adjust to changing ammonia and nitrites no matter what the rate of change is. I would not take any more risks with your tank until it has completely cycled.

oh man, just realized I didn't have the heater or filter running since the last water change! Went to unplug them for the water change and they were unplugged!

I am tempted to recommend you take all the fish back or find someone to take them temporarily. I would do this so you can get your tank cycled properly. If you cannot take them all back then you are in for quite a ride! Lots of water changes and testing of water. Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend you pick one up. (It sounds like you might from your readings)

If the filter was unplugged, and therefor not primed, the bacteria that grows in there probably died off when the water drained. I would clean it out real good and get it running ASAP. Post back with updated results about an hour after you do your large water change.

only tested for the ammonia, down to .5.... It is an API liquid test kit.

Going to test again when I get home.

I have an extra sponge filter in my 20g tank. It has only been in the 20g for 3 days but might add that to the 30g just for extra water flow.

Any amount of ammonia is toxic... down to .5 isn't the least of your worries. You will hiave high nitrites which are equally as toxic. More filters won't help. Filters don't replace the bacteria that detoxify ammonia and nitrites. I agree with the suggestion to take the fish back or put them in a cycled tank. Do not leave them in that tank while it cycles if at all possible.

Slowly getting the rates down. 2 50% water changes in as many days. And a 30% on the 20g (just to keep the water good).

Going to do the same 50% and 30% water changes over the weekend, use the water from the tanks to rinse out a 55g tank I have to clean.

Back
Top Bottom