Bacterial Bloom??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help/advise me. I think i might have a bacterial bloom. My water has like a cloudy look to it..I'm nearly sure it is a bacterial bloom, although i have another theory;
I have two T8 bulbs in my hood, one came from my old tank and is 3yrs+, i know it should be replaced every year or so. It's a bulb to show off colour(sorry i can't remember the name) and the other is a regular daylight bulb and is 4 months. I don't have live plants so i only use the light 5-6hrs per day.
When i look into the tank from above it seems very clear and had been crystal clear until about 3wks ago. I have been using purigen for months now- recently recharged. I have a 55g and am using the 100ml bag, i added a second bag two weeks ago to see would it help..Nothing.. I am fairly under stocked and have done nothing different recently that would cause this. I am changing the hood soon and installing LEDs so i am not going to buy new bulbs. I know people will say to just wait and see with the LEDs but i am curious/concerned about this. Friends used to comment on how clear the water was!!.
I have the tank set up about 6mths(fully cycled) and the water results are constantly spot on..If it is a bacterial bloom, is there anything i can do to get rid of it/prevent future attacks of it..All opinions/advice welcome...If anyone needs more info please ask..Ian
I think the difference is obvious!!

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 83
Your tank looks really clean do you clean the sand and mix it up every so often? Are any of the plants real? Are you cleaning out all un ate food after eating? How often and how do you clean your filters?

If it was me id clean the subsrate as best as you can and mix it up. If any of the plants are real remove them and trim back the dead parts on them including the roots so there should be nothing rotting. Also you need to decrease the food your feeding and increase the water oxygen. If your water quality will allow you skip a week of water changes if not try not changing as much.

The reason for this is more than likely to much organic wastes in the tank and possible cleaning to well all at once. Bacteria bloom

Last edited:
Take a second look on tank hygiene it is probably the biggest issue here. As clean as your tank looks to me your doing it all to well. When doing your water changes try only cleaning half the sand within one week. After a couple days rinse the filter in old tank water a few days later a new week will start. So clean the other half of the sand and so on and so on.

Your tank looks really clean do you clean the sand and mix it up every so often? Are any of the plants real? Are you cleaning out all un ate food after eating? How often and how do you clean your filters?

If it was me id clean the subsrate as best as you can and mix it up. If any of the plants are real remove them and trim back the dead parts on them including the roots so there should be nothing rotting. Also you need to decrease the food your feeding and increase the water oxygen. If your water quality will allow you skip a week of water changes if not try not changing as much.

The reason for this is more than likely to much organic wastes in the tank and possible cleaning to well all at once. Bacteria bloom
Yeah i clean it every two weeks, just the glass and give the sand a vacuum. I give the sand a mix up-especially at the front, nothing mad just like a gently swirl. None of the plants are real and i try not to overfeed. The food is usually gone in about 5 mins. I feed everyday, is that ok. My lfs-the bloke is sound, he said he only feeds his stock 2-3 times a week. I've seen him do it and they go mad for the food not like mine.
The tanks a 55g community- 2 swordtails, 4 Redtail Tetras, 2 Krib Cichlids, 2 Assorted Mollies, 2 Oto's(sorry not sure of full name) and 2 Platies. I'm running a Tetra EX700 with usual media and 2 100g Purigen(i know i only need one but i thought the extra one might help!). I rince the media about every 6 weeks in old tank water. I think i'm doing everything right??. Fish seem to behaving normally..oh and water test results are good..Do you think i should just wait it out or is there anything i can do to help it along??...Thanks...Ian

Ps..Would you mind if i added you to my contacts, it's good to have an expert like you to ask for help!!

Yeah i clean it every two weeks, just the glass and give the sand a vacuum. I give the sand a mix up-especially at the front, nothing mad just like a gently swirl. None of the plants are real and i try not to overfeed. The food is usually gone in about 5 mins. I feed everyday, is that ok. My lfs-the bloke is sound, he said he only feeds his stock 2-3 times a week. I've seen him do it and they go mad for the food not like mine.
The tanks a 55g community- 2 swordtails, 4 Redtail Tetras, 2 Krib Cichlids, 2 Assorted Mollies, 2 Oto's(sorry not sure of full name) and 2 Platies. I'm running a Tetra EX700 with usual media and 2 100g Purigen(i know i only need one but i thought the extra one might help!). I rince the media about every 6 weeks in old tank water. I think i'm doing everything right??. Fish seem to behaving normally..oh and water test results are good..Do you think i should just wait it out or is there anything i can do to help it along??...Thanks...Ian

Ps..Would you mind if i added you to my contacts, it's good to have an expert like you to ask for help!!

Here is a good article on bacteria blooms
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

It sounds like your doing everything fine to me. Try feeding every other day or what the lfs guy said. The only thing I would do is try to increase o2 levels by creating a splash at the surface of the water even if you need to lower the water level some. Or aim a power head or filter output up at the surface and leave it alone for a week at least and try feeding less and turn the lights off for a few days. Then hope it clears up.

My tank is just the opposite lol I have a bacteria bloom for a couple hours after big 50% or more water changes but it clears right back up. You can add me but I wouldn't say expert lol :)

Last edited:
Here is a good article on bacteria blooms
Bacterial Blooms Explained - Your New Freshwater Tank - Tropical Fish Forums

It sounds like your doing everything fine to me. Try feeding every other day or what the lfs guy said. The only thing I would do is try to increase o2 levels by creating a splash at the surface of the water even if you need to lower the water level some. Or aim a power head or filter output up at the surface and leave it alone for a week at least and try feeding less and turn the lights off for a few days. Then hope it clears up.

My tank is just the opposite lol I have a bacteria bloom for a couple hours after big 50% or more water changes but it clears right back up. You can add me but I wouldn't say expert lol :)
I'll give all that a go, although i have a powerhead and two large airstones. I switch them off at night but i'll leave them on 24/7. I'll give that article a read. I'll let ya know how i get on, Thanks for all the help Andrew...Ian:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom