Bad luck with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treedae

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having very bad luck with fish lately. I've completely cycled my tank and my initial inhabitants are all doing very well. 3 tiger barbs, 4 angelfish and 2 upside down catfish. After the cycle I added 4 glass catfish of whom 3 died during treatment for the ich they introduced. I continued to treat for 10 days after the last spot disappeared. I then tried to add 3 additional tiger barbs and all 3 died w/in 2 days. The last one had noticeable hemorrhaging in his lower jaw. Now I just lost a snowball pleco who I introduced about a week ago. Here's his pic. His belly looked fine. All i saw were white spots near his dorsal fin and on the dorsal aspect of his tail. What is going on with my tank? All my parameters are fine. Nitrites and ammonia are zero. pH is 7.0.

First off, I wouldn't add any more fish for a month. When you start adding them, add slowly, one at a time. I should take my own advice sometimes, since I added 13 fish at one time, but it was a 55g tank that has been established for 10 years.

What size tank do you have?

Since it looks like a cottony growth, it could be bacterial or fungal. I would treat the tank with a med that works against both. It will destroy your good bacteria, so treating in a QT tank would be best. Do any of the other fish have any spots? Are they all still eating?

All my other fish are fine and all have voracious appetites. It didn't look like a growth b/c the white area was flush with his skin. It more or less looked like an area that was more pale than the surrounding skin. (The pics suck, I know. I need to find a way to post on the web b/c whenever I try to upload a pic on this site it is very limited in the pixel dimension and overall size of the pic)

Unfortunately, I don't really have any fish which are sick to treat in a QT tank. Any sick fish I had is dead. :(

Next time, put new fish in a seperate aquarium & watch them for a few weeks...if they appear healthy then move them to the community aquarium.

yeah, i'm not introducing another fish until I get a quarantine tank going. I'm just trying to understand what disease process is going on here.

Back
Top Bottom