BadFish's REEFER Madness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badfishofbabylon

Aquarium Advice Freak
After Building a custom LED hood for my first pico, I decided to keep the tank how it was (Don’t want to mess with a good thing) and just start a new build. Everything will be the same as the first pico, just different lights. I am still new to reef tanks and the Nano/Pico thing, but I am learning as much as I can. So feel free to chime in with any advice or questions, just try not to be a huge D-bag about it. (I think everyone is tired of the condescending fish genius that love to tell you why you suck)

Anyways here is my plan for the tank. I want to see if the LEDs will be able to support Sps coral growth and color for myself. So now I can judge the two tanks against each other. I know that are many variables but it will be fine for what I want to know.

Here is my Basic Equipment List for both tanks.

Tank- Fluval Spec Desktop

Filter- AIO

Heater- Marina C10 10w

Other- Outlet Timer (for Lights), Thermometer.

Yup that’s it.

Here is a list of the individual equipment, stats and stocking list for each.

Tank 1- Started 12/2010

Lighting- Custom hood with 2x 10w Coralife Mini Power

Compact Fluorescent 50/50

Stocking List- Livestock

· Live Rock x 2 lbs.

· Hermits x 3

· Snails x 4

· Sexy Shrimp x 1

· Porcelain Anomie Crab x 1

· Pom Pom Crab x 1

· Emerald Crab x 1

Corals- Soft

· Assorted Mushrooms x 8

· Button Polyps x 4

· Kenya Tree x 1

· Giant Green Duncan

· Green Star Polyps

· Zoanthus Polyps (damaged from a different tank)

LPS

· Giant Green Polyp Duncan x 1

Tank 2- Started 1/2010

Lighting- Custom hood with

2x Cree 3w LED white,

2x Cree 3w LED Royal Blue,

1x Cree 1w LED UV.

(Whites and R.Blues/UV are on

separate dimmers.)

Stocking List- Livestock

· Live Rock x 2 lbs.

· Hermits x 1

· Snails x 1

Enjoy!

Most Recent Photos-

Tank 2 - 3/1/11

Tank 1 - 3/1/11

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 549
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 303
i think the LEDs you have on tank 2 will do much better for the sps than the stock cf bulbs on tank 1.

Here's the tank and the other equipment, as you can see in the pic the tank comes with a crapy little LED light, NOPE! ....And here is the LED hood upgrade.

Attachments

• eqpt.JPG
    eqpt.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 280
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 274
I set the tank up with black sand because i think the combination of that and the LEDs with make any color in the tank Pop like crazy.

Some Live rock I picked out from LFS.... aquascape time!

Attachments

• no H20.JPG
    no H20.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 249
  • rock.JPG
    rock.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 251
I just used some aquastik to do the aquascap. The rock is so light that nothing else was need. My other tank had kinda a mountain thing going on with it and it got a lot of compliments. After a little "inspiration" I decided this time I'm going with a shelf theme.

And my dog Louie has to look it over and see if i forgot anything.

Attachments

• lou.JPG
    lou.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Copy of rok 2.JPG
    Copy of rok 2.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by a moderator:
Here the rock in the tank. Let me know what you think, I didnt want to get too crazy with it because it is such a small tank.

Now that lame part... cycling the tank. I'm cycling the same way I did my first tank; 1 hermit, 1 snail, and the rock. Oh and a pice of krill.

Attachments

• scape2.JPG
    scape2.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 517
  • scape3.JPG
    scape3.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 522
  • tank scape.JPG
    tank scape.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 505
Ooh, that mountain dew looks so nice. Good coloring, looks great!... Oh yeah, nice tank. ;)

Thanks, I didn't realize it was in the background. Hahaha you can see my "inspiration" next to it too...oops

In all seriousness both tanks are really cool. I've glanced at your other thread off and on, I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Looks cool with LEDs. I always found it difficult to keep all tank parameters including flow, etc in check long term in such small water volume. SPS demand stability and great water quality as well as high nutrient levels. I found lighting is just one element of the equation for successful SPS growth and typically way over weighted in importance of a healthy reef system. Lights are expensive.

You got a cute dog, that was funny when he was staring at the rocks. Your tanks look sweet by the way

I was think of moding the tank my adding another little power head in the back over flow, but right now im going to hold off on that

so where did you find/buy the LED fixture and how much was it? im somewhat looking into lighting a small 10"x10" tank

Love the look of your little custom hoods with those LED lights. Very attractive and clean looking design.

Thanks guys,
IDream I made that, it wasn't too hard. I took some pics and was thinking of doing a DIY with it, but there a lot of led DIYs out there. But I still might anyways

Cycle is done, added 2 Ric. Green algae is starting to grow on the glass

Attachments

• image-248530742.jpg
    image-248530742.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 223
  • image-4202195637.jpg
    image-4202195637.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom