bala and black skirt, new tank, suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
while doing some research on the pentatonic scales for guitar, I looked over at my 10 gallon on my desk and really noticed how big the balawas getting, I was thinking of puttin him in my 29 until I get my 75 gallon up and running ( I needa buy a new filter and heater and gravel ) but I don't want to seperate him from his friend the black skirt tetra, do you think there would be any problems for puttin them both in the 29 for a couple weeks with a red tail shark, clown laoch, 5 tiger barbs, 4 zebra danios, a ramshorn snail, and 2 mollies? like I said its only going to be for a couple weeks, any problems? I will and have keep up on water changes also

Bala sharks get 12-14 inches long...they need a 125 minimum, are very active, and like a school. A 75g won't be big enough for a bala.

In your signature it says a red tailed shark....thats a totally different fish than a bala and has different tank size requirements. Which one do you have?

Bala sharks get 12-14 inches long...they need a 125 minimum, are very active, and like a school. A 75g won't be big enough for a bala.

Bala's can get pretty large but a 75 is decent for a max of three depending on other stocking plans. I have two four inch bala's in my 30 gal right now with black skirts. The bala's are a fairly new addition and will go into the 75 gal in a short while.

Getting him out of the 10g is a good idea. Putting him in the upcoming 75g is better.

Balas are skittish and can hit their heads on the glass. I really don't think a 75g is large enough. A foot long, active fish doesn't belong in a 4 foot tank, IMO.

I'm dropping a bunch of money on fish that was abondoned on me, I don't even want the fish, luckily I found somone who's gonna take it the day after tommrow and I don't have to worry about it, and mines never hit its head on the glass, my pictus cat used to all the time, but never my bala

how big is your bala...

i dont think a 75 gal is a death sentence for a bala, especially when he's in a 10 gal tank, i think a 75 gal tank will be fine for many years, if you disagree, sell the bala to one of the locally owned lfs that buy (and pay good $$ for large fish) from locals

...not everyone can afford (let alone completely use) a 200 gal tank guys

my bala is prolly a good 4.5 - 5 inchs, really fat to, Hopefully my buddys step dad isn't going to bail out on me, if he does, I'm going to wlmart and buying a big ol wading pool and puttin them in that out in the garage lol

not everyone can afford (let alone completely use) a 200 gal tank guys
Maybe not, but they should research before buying (or taking) a fish to make sure they give it the proper home. I'm not trying to be rude here, so don't take it that way. I'm just saying that these fish need a much bigger home then he has them in now. Its great that he is giving them to someone who can provide them with the right home. No, not everyone can buy even a 125g tank, but don't buy fish that need that size tank if you can't afford one that big. Too many people buy fish that get way too big for their tank size. Impulse buys are not good in most cases. And I'm speaking in general, not directly to the poster. I understand that he didn't buy these fish but that they were abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom