Bala Sharks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh Jennings

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has now fully cycled and the water is clear. So I have a fish question this time. We have several different species of Tetra currently in our 60 gallon tank. My son saw Bala Sharks at a speciality shop in Athens Ga. The associates told me that Bala's are good for community tanks but they won't defend themselves. I have also been told that Buenos Aris Tetris, and Diamond Tetris can be aggressive. We have 3 of each. Would it be a good move putting one or two Bala's in the tank?

My tank has now fully cycled and the water is clear. So I have a fish question this time. We have several different species of Tetra currently in our 60 gallon tank. My son saw Bala Sharks at a speciality shop in Athens Ga. The associates told me that Bala's are good for community tanks but they won't defend themselves. I have also been told that Buenos Aris Tetris, and Diamond Tetris can be aggressive. We have 3 of each. Would it be a good move putting one or two Bala's in the tank?
Hi Josh, i would stay away from these guy's. They grow up to 14", far to big for your tank. Although they are slow growing and non-aggressive, i would still not recommend one unless you plan a 6ft tank in the near future!!!
I have some Buenos Aris Tetris in my Community(platies, guppies etc) and they don't bother them at all. Once you keep them in schools of at least 6, you'll be fine....

Wow. I didn't know they got that big. Is there any of the sharks that would work. My 4 year old son saw the Bala in the store and loved it. This the reason I'm asking.

I am pretty sure all of them are too big, and I have read they like to be in groups. Not sure if that is true or not, but either way they need a much bigger tank.

Wow. I didn't know they got that big. Is there any of the sharks that would work. My 4 year old son saw the Bala in the store and loved it. This the reason I'm asking.

I would say Rainbow Sharks would be fine in a 60G but they can be territorial towards other fish.

I've had Bala Sharks off and on. I really like them, although I worry about the time I'd have to give them up when they are too big for the tank, I've never had to, they seem to be very slow growing.

Look up Roseline sharks .. aka Denison barbs. They'll grow to about 6inches over the course of a few years, peaceful and are one of the few barbs that don't have to be kept in a group / school.

They're a bit on the expensive side, but Pet smart's been carrying them at decent prices for 2 inch juveniles.

Ok. Decided against the Bala Sharks due to there size and the advice y'all gave me. But thinking about that brought up another question... Will the number of fish in my tank effect their growth and adult size? The reason I'm asking is I have 5 Diamond Tetra in the tank with 3 rainbows, 6 neon tetra, & 6 rio tetra. Two of the diamonds' are getting big where the others haven't grown much at all. I got them all at the same time, about 3 months ago.

Ok. Decided against the Bala Sharks due to there size and the advice y'all gave me. But thinking about that brought up another question... Will the number of fish in my tank effect their growth and adult size? The reason I'm asking is I have 5 Diamond Tetra in the tank with 3 rainbows, 6 neon tetra, & 6 rio tetra. Two of the diamonds' are getting big where the others haven't grown much at all. I got them all at the same time, about 3 months ago.

You'll get that with schooling fish ... I have two larger tiger barbs, pushing almost 3 inches, while the runt is at 2 inches. Within a few months you'll see who'll be the big boy and the small fry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom