balancing an aquarium w/ my wifes taste in decorating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally convinced my wife to allow me to have an aquarium at home (I have a freshwater and am cycling a marine tank at work).

We agreed on a 20g freshwater.
I promised to keep it clean,uncluttered,and quiet. Can I keep good water quality with just a UGF and PWCs and gravel vacuuming?
It came w/ a HOB power filter I can keep around as back up. I know UGF are falling from favor in the aquarium community but I'm trying to avoid stuff hanging off the tank.

Well I guess one thing is you can't run carbon or anything else in a UGF. Do you have a cabinet for it? If so you could add a small canister filter which would sit under the tank. I use a Eheim ecco 2236 and it's dead quiet. Even your HOB should be pretty quiet if you keep your water level high

A cabinet stand could be possible. Do the cannister units move water themselves or would I need a pump?

I think most any canister filter you get will already have a pump (less you do it DIY), all you have to do is prime it to get the water moving

So how about just a canister and PH to move water a little more and forget the UGF? I could do finer sand type substrate.

I'd just get a canister filter and not have to worry about it. Especially if you're wanting an uncluttered setup that is really quiet. As blasterx suggested, the Eheim Ecco series of canisters are extremely quiet, I have a 2236 as one of the filters on my 55 gallon tank and it doesn't make a sound, and it is right next to my bed on the floor and I can't hear it at all while sleeping or anything. As for the water movement, the Ecco's aren't the greatest for waterflow, but in a smaller tank one of the larger models wouldn't be too bad probably. If you're concerned about it though, or just want some extra water movement, you could install a powerhead along with your canister to help out with that. There are also several other brands and models of canisters that are excellent and have better flow. I also run a Filstar XP2 on my 55 gallon and it has much better flow than my Ecco does, so you could check out the XP filters as well perhaps.

Goodluck with the tank (and your wife)! :) Let us know how everything turns out.

Just wanted to say I love this topic... And good luck :rolleyes:

I have had great luck with the xp series filters as mentioned above. Canister is the way to go imo.

I'll look into those cannisters. Thanks for the info.
The wife will be cool with it when it's up and running.
I think she envisions and is nervous about those tanks that the "weekend warrior" types have that are half evaporated, cloudy, sick fish, mineral deposites running down the side, bad odor, etc...we've all seen them.

I've seen my share of tanks like the ones you just described -- just try to explain to your wife that patience will go a long way in keeping a really nice fish tank that you will both be able to enjoy once it's finally all set up and running. One of the biggest mistakes you can make when setting up a new tank is trying to rush into things.

If you run into any more questions while planning everything out or setting things up, let us know, everyone around here is extremely helpful when it comes to that sort of stuff. These forums were a godsend when I was setting up my 55 gallon.

So I guess a 10g tank is what I get (didn't want to push the issue, it's better then a 0g tank).
I really don't want to spend the cash on a cannister filter for that small of a tank so I'll settle for a UGF and HOB. I would rather run a PH on the UGF then an airstone. Can I get one small enough?

There are PH's out there rated for 10G tanks. I use UG filters and HOB's on all 3 of my tanks and am very happpy with the results as I think you will be.

I would just have a good HOB filter on a tank that small, by adding a UGF all you are doing is taking up space that could used for something else like a piece driftwood or plants.

I had to convince my wife too to get a larger tank. I have a 10 gallon in my office at home and decided I wanted a bigger one. So then I got her to agree on the 29 gallon. Then I found a 40 gallon and pointed out to her that it is the same footprint as the dresser that the 10 gallon is currently on. So I went out and came home with a 50 gal becaues it is the same size, just 3 inches taller :) Then she didn't want it in the living room because I think she envisioned something like a tank in a dorm room with dirty water and big fish and nothing. So I ended up building a stand and canopy and making it look real nice, and set it in the living room one day, and she loved it there! So I don't know, just show her some nice looking planted tanks that people post in the forums and let her see that they can be nice looking pieces of furniture.

I'd push for the 20g and go with a cannister filter. I have a Rena XP4 - you could get an XP2 for a 20g and that would be way more than enough filtration. You won't need anything else if you get a decent cannister - no UGF for sure. Also, if you get an over rated cannister then you will have less maintenance on it. Additionally, a cannister filter is quiet and will stay hidden from view.

A harmonious tank is part of a harnmonious household :)

Perhaps you can swap from something she wants to get up to 20g? But I have only a couple of 5gs and there is a lot you can do with even that size.

My wife is the opposite, she wants a bigger tank. She thinks our freshwater tank and my nano are boring. She wants 100+ gallon with a yellow tang but we can't afford to do that atm.

I got in trouble when I told my wife I was moving the 90 gal from the living room to the breeding room. She likes it there to look at while she's watching TV. Now to go shopping on craigslist.....

Back
Top Bottom