Ball Tip Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm pretty sure that's what I have. I think the technical name is Pseudocorynactis - but mine is all clearish/white, no color, but very distinct ball tips.

I got a piece of Fiji live rock today and there are about 5-6 of these things on it - all different sizes. I didn't see them until I turned the lights out.

I don't want my fish to die :(

if they are pseudocorynactis, you have nothing to worry about. we don't get the big fish eating types on our live rock.

Yes, the smaller pseudocorynacis are harmless non-photosynthetic filter feeders, living off of any particulates and possibly pods they may capture. I've got a few of the small ones in my reef tank.

As I understand it pseudocorynactis are type of corallimorph (related more to mushroom 'corals' than anemone's though they are very anemone-like ).

The larger one's (~6" in diameter) are indeed the fish-eating type as Mr. X indicated. In fact they can pose a serious threat to anything in the tank that comes in contact with them (fish, snails, crabs, urchins, corals, and probably the human hand). They're not as transparent as the smaller harmless ones.

I have one of the larger pseudocorynactis in an isolated tank. Completely non-photosynthetic, I feed it two thawed silverside fish every week. This is the type you don't want in your tank:

img_1586205_0_97884b089f3d466474ef16dfef11ec4e.jpg

img_1586205_1_38e72801f43d1ab9277c16c988d93053.jpg

Back
Top Bottom