ballon mollies giving birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uh_alright

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my balloon molly just had like 6 new babies and i was wondering if that was normal because i already see one dead one because they attacked it. :cry: i didnt even know it was pregnant. anyone have any other pointers for new fry (if that's what you call baby fish)? please respond and let me know. it would help a lot!! thanks. :)

You may need to invest in a fry net or another type of breeding trap. Most live bearing fish (though I believe mollies are less likely) will eat their young, and if they don't, the other tank inhabitants may also enjoy them.

Fluff,

Congratulations on your first successful breeding. My wife and daughter have been breeding mollies in one of my 75 gallon tanks for something like 2 years. Kids really enjoy waking up and seeing new babies in the tank.

A couple tips;

1. A $5.00 breeding net to put them in (it just hangs on the lip of the tank)
2. A $2.00 can of fry food
3. A small net to scoop the babies up in and put them in the net
4. Some real or artifical plants for the babies to hide in before you can scoop them out

Our are born in a live plant aquarium so the babies hide in the plants until we can scoop them out.

Enjoy you new kids
Asaint

That's what I get for typing a response over my first cup of coffee....

Golden rule - never post until the 2nd cup :}

Thanks Fluff

Asaint

Congrats on your babies! You will definately have more to come in the upcoming weeks. Mollies breed like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom