barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it possible to breed tiger barbs or rosy barbs in a community tank, or will the eggs just be eaten up... or the fry for that matter?
20 gal
4 tiger barbs
2 rosy barbs
2 albino corys
2 pepper corys
1 ruby shark
1 pleco
2 ottos
1 chinese algae eater

That tank is overstocked and the eggs would most likely get eaten. You should not even try to get any babies, you should really be thinking about bringing some fish back IMO. Sorry for the bad news.
Rosy barbs can grow to 5.5", chinese algae eater 10", ruby shark up to 6" and if it's a common pleco 20". These are all too big for the tank IMO.

As far as I understand, there is no definate rule on overstocking, just a "rule of thumb". I keep the tank clean, do often partial water changes and have never had a problem.. All the fish are healthy and look great..
I wasn't thinking of breeding with the tank as is, was asking so I'd know whether or not I had to move all fish into another tank or just some, and if some are OK then which ones. the fish are all currently small and will be returned once they become too large in exchange for smaller ones again..

I have had rosy barbs breed in my community tank. I think having lots of plants helped some of the fry to survive to adulthood.

I have had tetras breed in a community tank myself, but there is seriously heavy plant cover there and that is the only reason I get fry to survive. In general, the eggs will be eaten by the fish in the tank, parents included, but if you have some dense plant cover, real or fake, they will likely spawn in there and the eggs won't be easy to get to. If you want better odds put the parents in their own tank with marbles in the bottom and remove the parents when spawning is complete, and raise the fry by themselves.

I'm a little confused as to why you're talking about breeding tetras when the thread is about barbs? Did I miss something?

Breeding tetras and breeding barbs is very similar, and the same info applies. My apologies for confusing anyone.

Back
Top Bottom