Basic setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteAngel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few questions. My cousin has always liked salt-water tanks and I am always trying to presuade her that it is TOO much work and money.

So can you answer some questions:

1. How large does the smallest tank have to be?
2. How much equipment is needed?
3. How much money [typically] goes into this setup?
4. What are the beginner's fish?
5. How much attention/work do they need to keep healthy?

Anything else?

Thanks

1. the biggest that u can affford is the usual recomendation with "bigger is better" in mind
2. it depends on wat type of livestock u want to keep
3. check this thread it will give u an idea
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=7313&highlight=cost
4. damsels hardy but it also depends on wat u wanna keep also
5. it varies i think, but if u really wanted to and did it right from the start its not "hard" or "difficult" it just take some time and effort, u also have alot of experienced pplz here that can help u if a problems arise

hth

The best advice I can give you at this point is to purchase "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. As was pointed out above, there are different types of tanks and different ways to set them up. This book will give you a good basic understanding of what is needed. A SW tank isn't really more difficult than a FW tank...just very different. Check the articles link on this site as well. :mrgreen:

Hello, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. How large does the smallest tank have to be?
As big as you can afford as the larger the water volume the more stable the tank will be. IMO a 30G tank is the smallest you would want to start with.
2. How much equipment is needed?
A minimal compliment of equipment would be a filter, skimmer, and basic lighting, if your only interested in fish, if you want a reef the need for equipment is lessened if you want a natural approach, or greatly increased if you like a high tech approach. Let us know what type of tank your cousin is considering and you'll get more specifics.
3. How much money [typically] goes into this setup?
I find that $30.00 per gallon is a good minimum cost to expect. I am currently at $41.00 per gallon with my reef and I don't even have fish yet.
4. What are the beginner's fish?
Damsels, clowns, chromis are great beginner fish and inexpensive.
5. How much attention/work do they need to keep healthy?
I put about 10 - 20 hour a week into my reef.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Thank you very much...

I'll have to talk to my cousin seriously about this before she decides to get one...

y i think that that 30 a gal is a really good guess. i think on my 46 i have spent about that if not a little more. nd that was just for all the things i needed to make it liveable for fish and corals (but i did add in the live rock)

Back
Top Bottom