Battery Backup for Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you use a UPS for your tank?

• I always have a UPS for my tanks.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I've used a UPS in the past but do not have one now.

• There is no need to use a UPS for a tank.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • What's a UPS?!?

• Total voters

Kov

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone use a battery backup on his or her tank? Had a good storm last night, and it got me to wondering what would happen if the power went out. I have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) on each of my computers. Wouldn't one of those work just as well for a tank's filters/heater/etc?

Depending in your heater a computer UPS won't last very long. Those are intended to keep your computers on long enough to save any valuable documents and log off.

I saw on newegg.com that there is a UPS Rated for 600 watts. If if had a 150 watt heater running at full power this particular UPS would only last about 15 minutes. Then add the pump power and you lose more time. So you might be okay if your tank is larger volume because it will take longer for temp to drop to the surrounding air temp.

They are obviously bigger UPS on the market but that becomes $$$$. You might be better off buying a small $500-$800 gas generator that will continue running as long as you have fuel.

look into solar battery back up . its worth the money if u have a lot of fish and tanks. i have 22 tanks and i aint taking any chances

I have a 1500VA UPS on two of my four tanks (my SW and my 56 FW) to keep "life support" running...minimal pumps and heater. If I decide to get anything larger, I will probably just get a generator.

Back
Top Bottom