BC29 and skimmer (Tunze9002)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting there! I would make sure bubbles arent constantly spilling over... Adjust it so they bubbles get 3/4 to the way to the top, maybe a little higher. Once it's there, you will start to get a nasty skimmate... Probably take a day or so to actually see it, but if it's properly skimming you should see some production when you wake up tomorrow...

Here's a pic from when I first set up mine...

image-1018402173.jpg

And here it is a couple weeks later....

image-3451325034.jpg

Just be patient it will get there!

Oh wow! Thanks or the pics I can really see the difference. Now I'm pumped! Ok so I dial it down just a bit right?

Just dialed it down :)

How's it look? Better?

image-4064675297.jpg

Last edited:
Yea dial it in so it's a really dry skim, or essentially almost as much air you can possibly put into the mix... So basically the bubbles dont reach the top. Slowly lessen the amount of air as it produces more. You will be able to see little pieces of algae, gunk, and gross stuff start to build up on the walls of the collection cup. Skimmers need to break in, and dude I was smiling when mine finally started pulling stuff out that wasn't clear water lol...

Convict2161 said:
Oh wow! Thanks or the pics I can really see the difference. Now I'm pumped! Ok so I dial it down just a bit right?

Just dialed it down :)

How's it look? Better?

And yea that looks better... Depending on how much skimmate it produces, it may be too much air, but you gotta start it that way and adjust the air down rather than the other way around, or all you will pull out will be water...

Ok thanks or all the help! Should have asked 9 months ago!! lol.

Hopefully I'll get it now. I'll just keep an eye on it and adjust accordingly

Thanks again!

Hey really appreciate you checking in. That's really nice of you! Just took this now. Not much went on all day right?

image-41076329.jpg

image-2402936931.jpg

You could try adjusting it a bit so there's less air, but seriously it might just need to break in. Mine took a few days before it started producing green skimmate. Maybe google some reviews and see what time frame people are reporting for a break in period. For example my reef octopus people said had a 2 week break in, i guess i was just lucky with 4 days! But yea, you could try to adjust it like I said. Maybe set the bubbles so they reach the top of the tube, and then check it in the morning. Also, keep in mind that if you put your hands in the tank at all, it breaks the surface tension. It's weird but the skimmer will actually stop skimming for a little while. Let me know how it goes man...

Much appreciated! I'll adjust a little and see what it looks like in the morning.

image-2517640263.jpg

image-3841344689.jpg

Adjusted it a little and it's foaming more.

Not much no... But I would just leave it like that and check it daily... It's definitely skimming with bubbles, your water just might be pristine... Just don't mess with it anymore and let it do it's thing. What kind of skimmer is it?

Also after a couple days if nothing, just adjust it so it's less air and more of a wet skim and see how that works...

Ok, thanks so much I really appreciate all your help. I owe ya big time! It's a Tunze9002 with the inTank upgradable cup.

No problem man... I just checked out the manual
for that skimmer. When you get a chance check it out, there's answers to all your questions that you have asked. It will be good to have on hand. Looks like there could be a couple week break in period as well. It will do its thing, no worries.

Benamayer said:
No problem man... I just checked out the manual
for that skimmer. When you get a chance check it out, there's answers to all your questions that you have asked. It will be good to have on hand. Looks like there could be a couple week break in period as well. It will do its thing, no worries.

I feel stupid now :( I thought I was good and ha read it thoroughly.

It's been up am running for almost 9 months! Oh well. I'll go back an read it. Thanks again!! I'll buy ya a beer!

Convict2161 said:
I feel stupid now :( I thought I was good and ha read it thoroughly.

It's been up am running for almost 9 months! Oh well. I'll go back an read it. Thanks again!! I'll buy ya a beer!

IME those Tunze skimmers are very finicky. The water level has to be just right, the air adjusted perfectly and sun, moon and stars all perfectly aligned . Even then a consistant foam head is hard to achieve. A cup of clear water was often the more likely result.

Back
Top Bottom