BC29 turned into a snowglobe???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I use Kent A&B every now and again. I usually try and NOT dose anything to my tank other then water changes...

Reason being is, I was overwhelmed with ALL the different chemicals for your saltwater tank that my head started to spin. Long story short I decided that A&B was gonna be my thing. I should mention I do use things for my corals, clams etc.. But I do not go crazy.

Anyway... I dosed my part A per directions. Then dosed B per directions. It turned cloudy like always then... Bam!!! Snow globe!! What does that mean? My calcium is 480. It was 380 3 days ago. A guy at the LFS told me that 380 may be the magic number for my tank? Possible?

I'm confused...

It sounds like that's what happen. I would do a pwc because alk will actually attach to your glass and put a crusty film on glass or rocks. Second, I would dose calcium in morning and alk at night.

With that being said, what is your calcium at before dosing and after? In such a small tank, dosing can quickly change chemistry and cause spikes. Just test and test again. Your tank is doing great.

Bige said:
It sounds like that's what happen. I would do a pwc because alk will actually attach to your glass and put a crusty film on glass or rocks. Second, I would dose calcium in morning and alk at night.

With that being said, what is your calcium at before dosing and after? In such a small tank, dosing can quickly change chemistry and cause spikes. Just test and test again. Your tank is doing great.

My calcium is usually 380. So I should dose the B at night and the A in the morning maybe before work?

My calcium is always pretty much always 380-420 depending on the time of day and how close to a water change I'm at. I do a 5 gallon water change every Saturday.

Do answer your question direct I have seen spikes all the way to 480 after dosing.

I would do alk at night and calcium in morning. Which ever letter goes with what. I would also test daily until the process is under control. A spike of 480 isn't bad but a alk spike of the same increase might be. With my part a b dosing, I have to add 2 to 1 ratio. 2 parts alk to 1 part calcium. But I only need to add it every 3 days or so. But if I wait for wate change it seems to keep things more stable. Just my experience. And I use bright wells a b solution.

Bige said:
I would do alk at night and calcium in morning. Which ever letter goes with what. I would also test daily until the process is under control. A spike of 480 isn't bad but a alk spike of the same increase might be. With my part a b dosing, I have to add 2 to 1 ratio. 2 parts alk to 1 part calcium. But I only need to add it every 3 days or so. But if I wait for wate change it seems to keep things more stable. Just my experience. And I use bright wells a b solution.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try it that way and see what happens.

The reason it started snowing is because u added to much to fast. It actually causes the alkalinity or calcium to instantly harden. If u have to I would dose more than one time furring the day. U don't want to raise the alkalinity by more than two at one single dose. Calcium is a little less touchy like that so u can jump it up about 80 per dose and it won't solidify.

Never dose calcium or alk without checking magnesium. They are all linked together. If magnesium is too low you can begin to overdose calcium and precipitation can occurs.

This is a major issue if not paid attention too. Salifert mag test kit is good. It is a little pricey like other mag test kits but you will not need to test it often. Should usually be between 1280-1500ppm anything lower can cause problems when dosing and testing alk/calcium.

Just so you know. Way more information on this if you do google search. Magnesium is very important in its relationship with calcium and alk.

Back
Top Bottom