BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you thinking the two fine leaf structures would look too similar next to each other? I'd have to google some images side by side to picture this. I have r wallichii next to pogo and they are similar in shape but they differ in color and size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay update: I am putting pogo on the left hand side, I am replacing the red myrio with new stems. The ones in the tank gathered some greenish algae on the "leafs" and it is struggling. It was fine before the green water. Then I am replacing my poorly trimmed Rotala indica with Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden.' I am trying to get my nitrates up higher to get some color into these plants. It is currently at 5ppm with phosphates at 3ppm.

Okay update: I am putting pogo on the left hand side, I am replacing the red myrio with new stems. The ones in the tank gathered some greenish algae on the "leafs" and it is struggling. It was fine before the green water. Then I am replacing my poorly trimmed Rotala indica with Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden.' I am trying to get my nitrates up higher to get some color into these plants. It is currently at 5ppm with phosphates at 3ppm.

I always thought to colour a plant it was a combo of high light, co2, low nitrates and higher phosphates

I try to keep the nitrates between 10-20 ppm and phosphates between 3-5 ppm. I don't dose KNO3 and use PWCs to keep the nitrates down. I have a low fish population and do not over feed. I have a high MTS population and they do generate quite a bit of waste. I believe some of the nitrates are coming from the substrate as a result of accumulated waste.
As for phosphates, I was unintentionally over dosing and was getting >10 ppm. I've reduced the macro dosage and used PWCs to bring that down. When it was low I'd see GSA; when it was high, the Downoi started to melt (though it might have been other macros contributing to this).

This is the algae that has attacked my red myrio and starting on the mermaid weed can anyone id it?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410386212.926215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410386212.926215.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 61
It almost looks like GDA with some other green fluffy type of algae.

Have you spot treated it with hydrogen peroxide? If so, how did it react?
I had something similar clinging to the Rotala wallichii and Ammania bonsai. But is was grayish-black and fuzzy. Spot treating it with peroxide would turn it pink and kill it but it would appear a short time later. The other week I finally got around to refilling the old Excel bottle with 1:1 glut:DI water and have been dosing daily. Was doing 1mL/gallon of the 1:1 solution but stepped down to 1ml/ 2 gallons. BBA or stag horn on any of the plants died within days.
I know the best thing is for a positive ID and a removal of the cause. But I'm happy that I got it under control.

This is not BBA, i have had that before and this is not it. I believe the grey stuff is GDA since i also will get that on the glass. I am trying to firgure out what the green stuff is. I dont think is GSA because its not flat.

Look into something along the lines of "clado"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Clado might be a winner! It rubs right off just like the description. I will try to spot treat some areas with excel.

Glad I could help;) I've heard that stuff can be a pita to get rid of.. may the force be with you young jedi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im going to try to treat is with excel directly to see what happens. It is weird it is only effecting certain plants. Side note: new plants come in today, the rotala indica actually has recovered nicely so I may keep it as a mid ground plant. I will post new pics when I am done rescaping!

I was able to pull some out, heres what it looks like on my finger aka aquatic thumb. Doesnt really fit the characteristics of clado though. Its soft and not stringy

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410470093.313018.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410470093.313018.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 56
This is long overdue for an update but I am in the still tweaking my plants. Long story short is all the plants i ordered from Aquarium Planted Central melted and they did not rectify the situation, very disappointing. In the middle of selling/trading some of the S. Repens that took over the bottom. Got some new plants on the way from trades! Also I want to add some shrimp so I am thinking of selling the Seiryu stone I have and buy an inert stone to replace it. Any suggestions?

That stinks about the melted plants and "sorry, too bad". You should post feedback on the website in the product review section. I think I lucked out putting the emerged growth in pretty high light, height current, and CO2. Only a small part grew but it was enough before the 90-95% meltdown.
Is pogo part of your plant trade?
The healthiest RCS I obtained were from AA members.

The pogo was part of a trade with a member from TPT. I think amanos might be better with my tank. I am worried about the GBRs going after the dwarf shrimp.

My star repens started melting for no explainable reason. Water parms are good, no other plants having issues. What would cause this?

Back
Top Bottom