BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude!! Looks like a happy newborn baby:D hope it pans out man, you've put in the work, time to enjoy the benefits. Here's mine, I went with a wider pipe to keep it a bit more compact, flow has been hindered but that's what I was aiming for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425225314533.jpg
    1425225314533.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 60
Ours will be very similar! Does mounting at an angle help? How long is it? Is it stuffed with bioballs?

I like this plant layout a lot, hopefully the repens and AR come back to life! I am trying to get the cabomba on the right to fill in. We shall see...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank looks great. Striking colors.
I read about reactors being at an angle somewhere but not sure why it would be any better. If mounted vertically, then hypothetically the CO2 would be suspended in the water column. If at an angle, then the bubbles would rest against the reactor wall. This would reduce some of the surface area IMO. I'm no math/eng/physics person but as for shapes go, I believe a sphere has the lowest amount of surface area per volume. And one 1" bubble would have less surface area than two .5" bubbles. Is this correct? If so, thus the positive benefits of bio balls or other media to break up the larger bubbles.
Anyhow, I would provide a means to swivel it after start up to flush out any air that might get trapped in there.

Ours will be very similar! Does mounting at an angle help? How long is it? Is it stuffed with bioballs?

I like this plant layout a lot, hopefully the repens and AR come back to life! I am trying to get the cabomba on the right to fill in. We shall see...

I've read mounting at a 20°angle is "ok". I'm tight on space so I made due, rather have it perfectly inverted. It's about 14" with around 40 bioballs I believe, they've wiggle room and will bounce around creating some noise. I wanted the movement to hinder bio buildup and chop up bubbles a little more efficiently, they cannot find the path of least resistance as the path is ever changing. None shall passs! Hiyahhhh!!!

I've read mounting at a 20°angle is "ok". I'm tight on space so I made due, rather have it perfectly inverted. It's about 14" with around 40 bioballs I believe, they've wiggle room and will bounce around creating some noise. I wanted the movement to hinder bio buildup and chop up bubbles a little more efficiently, they cannot find the path of least resistance as the path is ever changing. None shall passs! Hiyahhhh!!!

I was just speaking from a theoretical approach, though in reality, adequate CO2 absorption maybe occurring at any angle.
You added quotes from LOTR and the Karate Kid.

I was just speaking from a theoretical approach, though in reality, adequate CO2 absorption maybe occurring at any angle.
You added quotes from LOTR and the Karate Kid.

That I did fresh.. that I did... always gets the point across.
The angle thing?? Gravity eliminates cavities, right? I wish I could see inside mine, for all I know there is a co2 pocket in to top corner??

Okay guys here's an update of the tank, I was out of town all week and the nitrates got a little lower than I wanted but no big deal. I am seeing the AR mini turn purple on some new growth and the bylxa is getting a yellowish hue to it. Overall the tank looks pretty happy. Its a little early to tell anything about the S.Repens yet. I will say the banding on the leaves is gone but I have one stem that is melting. This stem could have started melting before I cleaned up the tank. So what could cause the AR mini leaves to turn purple?
img_3179116_0_c285cce1db21f88f9575abb38e861f85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3179116_1_b43a803161dc0d9393ab184d43f0bfbb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3179116_2_f8bf35b31ea344b9732838ae009659ee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3179116_3_f581ca76d93c3ca2fc03e6ddb24490ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The purple reminds me of burnt bacon. I'm seeing that now with some of the new growth on the AR mini. That plant is so hit or miss with me. Frustrating! Sorry, not a clue.

I could just be the fact that the nitrates were a little low, they were between 0-5ppm yesterday before the water change.

So does Aqua Soil have nutrients in it? Or is it just good for how it adjusts the water quality?

So does Aqua Soil have nutrients in it? Or is it just good for how it adjusts the water quality?

Both.

I believe it has nutrients, but I can't remember what. I remember reading an article on this a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

As far as adjusting the water, Aqua Soil is notorious for ammonia spikes in the initial setup and lowering the pH; redcherryshrimp.net covers this in this article and even offers a visual: ADA Amazonia Aquasoil Review | Red Cherry Shrimp

Plants are looking just ehh this week. I am tempted to add root tabs.

FTS time, gave the plants some trimming today. Everything is looking alright except the s.repens, rotala macandra and the AR Mini. I put a few root tabs under the pogo, bylxa and A.Bonsai. I'm probably going to phase out the mermaid weed, just not filling out the middle like I had hoped.
img_3183850_0_66f14529c9d5ebb34d4eb5e52506d3a8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No not really, it just doesnt fill out the center of the tank very well due to the leaf structure.

I really like the color and leaf shape but it kept dying no matter what I did with it so I gave up on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

FTS time, gave the plants some trimming today. Everything is looking alright except the s.repens, rotala macandra and the AR Mini. I put a few root tabs under the pogo, bylxa and A.Bonsai. I'm probably going to phase out the mermaid weed, just not filling out the middle like I had hoped.
img_3184034_0_66f14529c9d5ebb34d4eb5e52506d3a8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice! It looks like your back on the right path. The S. repens still seems to be giving you trouble. Maybe it's time to just ditch that batch for a new batch? I love the look of the Ludwigia. Is that plain old L. repens, or a certain variant of it?

Back
Top Bottom