BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im hesitant to add purigen since it takes out nutrients the plants need. Can anyone vouch for how it works and if i add it should it just be temporary?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im hesitant to add purigen since it takes out nutrients the plants need. Can anyone vouch for how it works and if i add it should it just be temporary?

I use purigen and my plants grow just fine

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yup.. I do too. No problems with my plants like deficiencies. Also look at Rivercats' 220g TOTM planted tank. She guided a lot of us here in AA and was like a mentor to a lot of us. Anyways, she's the one who enlightened me to purigen. Look it up.. Read reviews. It's a very highly reviewed product.

If her tank can look this good with purigen in the filter, it's not going to adversely affect your plants.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/january-2013-totm-rivercats-220-gallon-planted-community/

Last edited:
I have not used any water clarifiers and or purigen yet. I will probably go for purigen next. So Brian you use it in your tank 24/7?

I have not used any water clarifiers and or purigen yet. I will probably go for purigen next. So Brian you use it in your tank 24/7?

My purigen is in my filter 24/7. I have 3 pouches. One is in the filter, one is being recharged and the other has been recharged and is waiting to go back in. I rotate maybe every 3 months or so

Yes, 24/7. However, I'm way overdue for a recharge. Sk3lly has a good method.

Wow Sk3lly, that's a clever idea! I might try that soon. What are you using to keep the purigen in?

Yes, 24/7. However, I'm way overdue for a recharge. Sk3lly has a good method.

Wow Sk3lly, that's a clever idea! I might try that soon. What are you using to keep the purigen in?

I recharge as stated on instructions in bleach/water then the prime. It then sits in pure rodi for about a month, then I dry it and leave it out for another month. All bleach well and truly gone

I recharge as stated on instructions in bleach/water then the prime. It then sits in pure rodi for about a month, then I dry it and leave it out for another month. All bleach well and truly gone

Sorry, I meant for a media bag? Purigen is so tiny that it would fall through a typical media mesh bag. Thought the OP (and I) can benefit from some options. Don't want to come off like I'm hijacking. LOL

Sorry, I meant for a media bag? Purigen is so tiny that it would fall through a typical media mesh bag. Thought the OP (and I) can benefit from some options. Don't want to come off like I'm hijacking. LOL

Women's tights but doubled up is what I used lol

Okay so i just got home from a long weekend and bought purigen and came home to this. I added the purigen, going to do a 50% water change and do a blackout for a few days. My guess is it started with a little excess ammonia since i changed the biomax and my high lighting. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408470536.287922.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408470536.287922.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 61
It's either your glass is coated with algae or you have green water. If it's the latter, then you have an algae bloom and not a bacteria bloom. If it's the former, then it's cloudy due to the bacteria bloom but looks green because of algae on the glass. So which is it?

Its green water for sure. Doesnt make since why I got it, I had been checking the water quality during the cloudiness and it was perfect....

I had an algae bloom once. How long is your photoperiod? Your tank isn't by a window is it? Algae blooms are usually caused by a combination of excess light, warmer summer temps, and an elevated ammonia level.

The way I cleared it up was with the blackout method. You can also use a UV sterilizer. But the blackout method worked fine for me.

The photo period is only 6.5 hours and the tank is not by a window. I'm not sure about ammonia since I dont have a test kit for it but if I had elevated levels for a week I think I would have seen higher nitrite levels by now.

I recommend getting a good liquid test kit like the api freshwater master test kit. Green water can also be caused by excess feeding and resulting excess nutrients, coupled by your powerful light. Either which way, try the blackout method. There's plenty of sites on how to do it if you search. Good luck.

I've been struggling to maintain nitrate in the tank could that have caused it? and during the black out do I shut off the CO2 and no ferts?

I've been struggling to maintain nitrate in the tank could that have caused it? and during the black out do I shut off the CO2 and no ferts?

Did you separate the kno3 mix? I'm not positive but I think high nitrates can indeed cause algae like yours.. an algae scrubber is used to reduce nitrates? May be unrelated.. just spit - balling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I mix it separate, but it has been low not high.... I have begun a 3 day black out following a 50% WC. I covered the tank with trash bags and then beach towels to make sure 0 light can get through. Hopefully this will work but I still need to figure out what caused it.

Back
Top Bottom