beach sand n freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halro741

Aquarium Advice Newbie
in 2009 i brought home some white sand from a beach,and its been in ziplock bags since then.i was wondering can i use it in my fresh water tank.if so what are the steps i need to do as far as cleaning the sand and so fourth.my tank is a 55gal,long tank.i also purchased a 50lb.,bag of pool sand yesturday.when i purchased the new tank.so ive still not set it up yet.but would love to use the beach sand in it if possible.:fish2:

I wouldn't. Unless you rinse super well and then test the water over a week or more to make sure it does NOT change your parameters.

Anything associated with saltwater in my mind is a no no :/

You can if you don't mind washing it put for a long period of time and testing the water parameters before you put it in

I always wondered this also. I live in Indiana and go to the "beach" (lake Michigan) alot. Could I use the sand from there?

In my opinion, yes you have to wash itand then soak it for a week and test the parameters of the water every day and see what happens. Honestly, there fish in lake Michigan with exposure to that sand so why cant you use it?

In my opinion, yes you have to wash itand then soak it for a week and test the parameters of the water every day and see what happens. Honestly, there fish in lake Michigan with exposure to that sand so why cant you use it?

Unless you are stocking fish FROM Lake Michigan , it might not be ideal for Tropicals from South America. All Freshwater is not exactly alike.

I would not use sand from Lake Michigan, really depends were on the lake you live though as well. I live in Michigan and have never thought about doing it. Unless it was a fish from Lake Michigan I would not. Not knowing what was truly in the sand is what would stop me from it.

You can always go ahead and try, as other said let it soak and test it everyday I hope it goes well for you.

If it is anything like lake Erie I wouldn't put anything from there in my tank. Too many pollutants on shore that won't show up in test kits.

If it is anything like lake Erie I wouldn't put anything from there in my tank. Too many pollutants on shore that won't show up in test kits.

This. Its really not worth the risk. Itd be a little different if you found a pristine area to collect from, but just get a bag of clean sand and save that other stuff for decoration around the house.

I wouldn't. Unless you rinse super well and then test the water over a week or more to make sure it does NOT change your parameters.

Anything associated with saltwater in my mind is a no no :/
IMO, it's not worth the risk, especially as you have the filter sand...
PS... Not sure of US laws but be very careful of taking sand from a beach. It's illegal over here!!!

Back
Top Bottom