Been treating sailfin tang with cupramine for 4 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I figured. Just getting frustrated that it won't go away. The other fish in the tank hasn't had any but idk if it's safe to go ahead and get them out if the sailfin still has it they could too right?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any fish in there with the tang more than likely is carrying the parasite even though there are no signs .

Ok I tested the copper and it was below .5. So I put enough cupramine in for 10 gallons and tested it again. Now it's about .6. The test is kinda hard to read so hopefully I'm reading it right. It's kind of hard to match the color. Don't know if I didn't add enough when I did my water change but I'm pretty positive I tested it after I added the cupramine after the water change. I don't know how it would of lowered like that with no carbon or anything removing it. So I will start testing it at least every other day.

Probably going to lose my bangaii cardinal that I've had for a few years. This is really getting on my nerves and frustrating the heck out of me.. why won't this stupid ich go away.

Yep cardinal died. He had stopped eating and this morning he was laying on the bottom but was still alive. I just found him dead. My other fish are still eating fine though. Stupid ich. How long is too long to treat with copper? Don't wanna hurt my fish and I've already been treating them since Nov 20th. I'm gona start testing the level everyday. It's still between .5 and .6 right now

To be honest, I've never liked dosing cupramine as strongly as suggested on the bottle. IMO/IME .5mg/l is an awfully high dosage for fish to withstand that are already unhealthy to begin with. I've lost several fish in QT at that high dosage that were showing no signs of ich and eating well. After reading the article below and discussing with other reefers, I've had much better success when dosing slowly over 3-4 days to reach an ending concentration of .3mg/L.

Take a look here for more info:

FA165/FA165: Use of Copper in Marine Aquaculture and Aquarium Systems

Should I try a freshwater dip to get what's on him off and see if I can keep it off?

I went ahead and did a freshwater dip. Could of just been wishful thinking or whatever but I'm pretty sure I watched ich or something fall out of all the spots on him. I left him in it for 8 minutes. I probably could of left him for longer because he was still active but I didn't want to cause any problems with him. Now that he's back in quarantine he still has a few spots on his fins and tail but is much better looking. Should I keep doing the freshwater dip everyday? To keep killing anything that attaches to him while the medicine kills what's in the tank? And should I go ahead and fresh water dip the kole tang?

Are you sure it wasn't flukes? Ich doesn't really "fall" off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

then maybe it was just bubbles or something haha like I said probably just wishful thinking. It wasn't flukes I did a freshwater bath to a Koran that had flukes and actually did see those fall off. Of course by the time I found out what it was he was covered in them and I saw hundreds of them. And that fish didn't make it

So anybody know if I should keep doing freshwater dips

Freshwater dips will not remove ich indefinitely. Copper and Hypo are they only ways to effectively remove all ich.

Well if you read the rest of the thread I have been and still am treating with copper. Just thought if I could kill the ones that are on the tang with freshwater dips the copper will be taking care of the ones in the tank. Because the ich wasn't going away on the tang and if it's on the tang the medicine doesn't kill it but freshwater dips will

Alright well I've decided that in a week ich or no ich I'm putting them back in the 120. I've been treating them since November 20th. There's no reason this fish should still have ich. Unless the test kit isn't testing the correct results. I've freshwater dipped it twice. It's ich has gone down a good bit but his fins and tail still have it. Is there anyway it's just permanently damaged from having ich for a while? Or does anybody have any suggestions or anything. I'd hate to give up after going through all this but it's just frustrating me

I would just urge you to be patient with the treatment and give it a bit more time before you do something drastic and put the fish back in the display. While I do agree it should be gone by now sometimes it just doesn't work out the way we would like it . See how it is doing in two weeks from now and reevaluate then .

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright. I guess I will check the copper more often. I checked it the day before yesterday and it was right. I will check it again today. I'm going to try another freshwater dip too. That was actually seeming to help. The kole tang keeps getting a spot or two on one fin and then it goes away. I think I might take that log thing out and wash it with hot water. Maybe they are living in that. The sailfin tang doesn't do anything but stay in that and the kole tang swims a lot.

Ok I freshwater dipped the sailfin. Tried to dip the kole but as soon as I put him in even with same temperature and everything he went stiff and wouldn't move when I touched him so I put him back in the tank. I washed the couple fake things and pvc I have in the tank with hot water and then I tested the copper again and it came out to be right.

Ok I haven't seen any ich on the tangs body in a week. But it's still got spots all over the tail and fins. But now that I think about it.. they don't look like regular ich spots. Their more like bigger thicker spots or something. I don't know hard to explain. You can kind of tell in the picture I posted earlier in the thread. I mean is it possible that he's scarred? I've been checking copper every other day. The kole tang hasn't shown any spots of ich or any flashing in over a week. The sailfin doesn't even do any flashing. Should I put some medicine in there for fin rot or something like that to see if the spots go away? To see if maybe his fins are just scarred or those are just spots where the ich has torn the fins and tail? Jan 20th makes it 2 full months I've been treating with copper. The copper may have lower a little bit on it's own here and there before but it's been in the tank this whole time. Seems like the ich would be gone by now

I'm doing hypo in my 240g right now and all three fish. (Picasso Trigger, Porcupine Puffer and DesjardiniTang) had spots, but have been clear for two days. The Tang and Trigger now have the same sort of spots you are talking about on their fins (just a couple). I'm thinking it is the aftermath, but am going to watch for a while. I've got two weeks after the last spots to see how it goes. I've dealt with Ich before, but do not recall seeing this sort of thing. I'll see if I can get pics of mine...

Ok. I've been noticing they seem thicker but I didn't really think about it until now. Even when he had ich on his body they were the normal spec looking spots but those are all gone and I can't get these on his fins and tail to go away. And I was thinking maybe its because I've had the sailfin for a long time with him having ich then it going away then coming back and then I finally decided to get everything out of my 120 and leave it empty treat for ich in a quarantine so now he's just scarred or something. I've been driving myself absolutely insane trying to get rid of it from him. Even when I did a freshwater dip it seemed like all the spots on his body disappeared from that but his tail and fins still looked the same

Back
Top Bottom