been waiting to post this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i got my 55 gallon its so awesome.... was going to do 75 gallons but I was worried about the extra water weight on the second floor of a 100 year old house...
parts list-
55 gallon black framed tank
black metal stand
fluval 305 canister
seeded media from old tank
150 watt black heater
circulation fan
aeration bar
aeration pump
tubing
flow check valve
beautiful white stone
white sand
black background
dual T5 light fixture
one white light
one blue light
internal glass thermometer
magnetic algae scraper
stock- not sure on all the names
3 yellow labs
2 ob peacocks
1 blue faced red peacock
1 blue and orange peacock
1 synodonalist
2 cichlids i am not sure about please help me with identifying the proper names

Attachments

• new tank 55 001.jpg
    new tank 55 001.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 150
  • new tank 55 002.jpg
    new tank 55 002.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 137
  • new tank 55 003.jpg
    new tank 55 003.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 138
  • new tank 55 004.jpg
    new tank 55 004.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 145
more pics

here are more pictures

Attachments

• new tank 55 005.jpg
    new tank 55 005.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 140
  • new tank 55 006.jpg
    new tank 55 006.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 127
  • new tank 55 007.jpg
    new tank 55 007.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 133
  • new tank 55 009.jpg
    new tank 55 009.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 123
Really nice tank, looks brilliant.

Yep, looks like you have some labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs)
In the 3rd Pic the fish on the far right looks to be a juvenile Fossorochromis rostratus (very big fish when they reach adult size)
The last photo you have the OB peacock to the left, yellow lab in the centre and the fish on the right has a slight coloring of OB morph but also looks like a female Otopharynx lithobates (slightly).
The yellow with browny black spots is a Nimbochromis venustus, also a very large fish when they reach adult hood.

Hope this helps.

Fishkeeper88 said:
my fish sift sand can you tell me what type of food they are looking for so i might be able to provide this?

All my cichlids dig, may not necessarily mean they r hungry... Mine do it a lot while in their dens ;) a varied diet is a great way to feed. I feed NLS Thera A, cucumbers, romaine lettuce and broccoli. My carnivores like my ruby red peacock and dimidiochromis compressiceps get bloodworms, bits of mussels and jumbo Mysis shrimp :)

Fishkeeper88 said:
thanks yes i am switching to more veges :) i am also trying to find the food you mentioned

I have a hard time finding it at chain stores, or anywhere here in northern Michigan lol. My good friend got me a couple jars online from Pet Mountain I think it was. The Thera A has garlic in it too :)

is your 150 watt heater large enough. your light prob gives off some heat, but i have a 150, or 200 watt heater for my 40 gallon, and its barely enough durying the winter.

heater

yes it is enough it keeps it at 81 degrees feirenheit with 2 air conditioners blasting its like 72 degrees in my apartment and the tank is perfect.... i keep it cool in here so the heaters function all the time i have 4 tanks going so.... :)

btw i just got home to discover my red peacock developing its colors as we speak... i will post this evening about this special fish ;)

Fishkeeper88 said:
yes it is enough it keeps it at 81 degrees feirenheit with 2 air conditioners blasting its like 72 degrees in my apartment and the tank is perfect.... i keep it cool in here so the heaters function all the time i have 4 tanks going so.... :)

btw i just got home to discover my red peacock developing its colors as we speak... i will post this evening about this special fish ;)

You keep Ur tank at 81? For Africans? Isn't that a bit high? I keep mine @ 77.4. I thought higher temps increase aggression?

Back
Top Bottom