Beginner Filter: Eheim 2213 Canister vs. Emperor 280 HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trafficjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post and any and all help is very much appreciated! I am a beginner that just purchased my first aquarium. It's a 30 gal. and plan to set up a basic tropical freshwater community tank.

Purchased a Eheim classic 2213 canister filter on a great boxing day sale at BigAl's ... but am wondering if I bought the right filter for my tank? A friend swears by the Emperor 280.

I noticed that the Eheim 2213 is rated for 116 gal. per hour and have been reading that I should have ten times water turnover per hour - so is the Eheim enough? Should I return it and get the Emperor... or do I get both? I notice that a lot of posts have both canister and HOB.

Do I have enough, too much or too little filtration?

I don't know that you need 10x for FW, I know I never have. I've got an emporer 400 and love it. It's been realiable enough for me over the last decade.

I am a big fan of Eheims and I think it is fine for that tank. I use a 2215 on my 44gal. They are a minor pain to maintain, but you don't have to do it very often, and this filter will last you almost forever, with silent operation. If you can get a good deal on one, then you are doing better than most, as they are usually pretty pricey. I do not believe they move as much water as they are rated to move, as I read somewhere (I may be wrong or misinformed, though) that they rate their flow without any media present.

Back
Top Bottom