beginner need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so there is my tank after 12 hours and I did not like it and paniced that I messed up so I removed all the water ecexpt like 1 inch above the sand. Then this time I decided to mix the salt in a container and then add it. So I did that and started adding it. I put the salt bags laying down on the sand as to not disturb the sand much so start filling it and I'm not kidding I could see lots of particles rising from the sand and now I am couldy again bit I would say about 50% better than that pic. I put my heater in and but it to 82 hoping if there's any undisoved salt it will help it at a higher temp. I have hadded 0 chemicals and have my canister filter running a cascade 1500 rated for a 150 tank. I have it filled with 2 layers of differnt sized mechanical filter and 2 layers of carbon and one layer of live rocks. The water has a lot of movement I have the canister hooked up to a spary bar that runs horizontal across the whole tank almost. I have only but alittle live rock back in because it was compleyy covered in sand so I have it in a container with saltwater just sitting and waitng. Is there any way to clear this up. Im really not happy and not enjoying this at all like I wanted to. Please any more tips would really help. Ill take another pic in a second

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130121_003032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_003032.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 85
More pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130121_004325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_004325.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130121_004503.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_004503.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 87
that's okay. you can go ahead and add the Live rock once the salt and sand settles. everything is going smoothly you just have to wait for it to clear up. It may take a day or two, maybe by the time you wake up tomorrow even. Don't panic it's going to be okay lol.

I'd turn the canister filter off just so that the water and everything gets a chance to settle then once it's clear turn it back on.

Ok turning it off now. Also I checked the salt level and its only at 1.019. Should I add the salt now or just wait till later once everything settles? When I mixed the water in my 30 gallon container it tested at 1.022.

Also another question don't know it makes any difference but would Ieving lights on all the time help cycle since that will promote algae growth? Seems logical specially since there's not fish or anything. I did notice some weird looking worm in there though? What is it?

Leave the lights off during the cycle period. I'd wait until tomorrow. Even if you want to give the sand a nice stir to maybe release some salt that's laying on the bottom. Tomorrow retest and add more salt as needed. You want to be 1.026

1.026 is a little high IMO. Like others have said just slow down. You have a long 4-6 weeks ahead of you before adding livestock. There is no hurry and if you do you will be just flushing that beautiful $50 fish down the toilet.

I wouldn't turn the lights on more than 3-4 hours a day during the whole cycle.

Looks like I have spider webs in the tank now. What is going on

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130121_082207.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_082207.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20130121_082228.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_082228.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 87
Really? It looks crazy. Should I turn my filter on and get some flow yet or just let it stay still. Don't seem to be anything other then the web stuff in floating but water is still pretty cloudy

I would get some water flow. Do you have a powerhead? If not use your canister.

For the cycle, you'll want your filter on so it can build BB in it. you can turn on the PH if you want, not required. Leave the lights off, it'll only encourage algae growth.

So checked salt level again and still kinda low. Should I adds some more salt now or just wait till water is finally cleared in a day or so.

Go ahead and get your salinity level right with your power head a d filter running, get it up to temp, leave the lights off. It's going to take a day or two or even three to clear the tank up nice. After a day or two of your system running at the right salinity and temp. Start testing for ammonia

Ok salt is at 1.024-1.025 now. Temp is 78. Have power head running and filter. Have them kinda aimed up so there is lots for surface movment. But I will say it looks a lot worse after adding more salt. Here a current picture

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130121_131127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_131127.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 80
That's okay, like Trueerfan said, patience is key. It should clear up in a day or two now that your salinity is accurate, got a good temp going just have to let everything settle.

Back
Top Bottom