beginner to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The kribs look very nice but I have never seen them at any lfs in my area. And im too scared to order fish in

Ask your LFS to order them for you. Usually they are willing to do that. I don't know a whole lot about the convicts, but I do know that they are not very colorful, and they can very quickly overpopulate a small aquarium. Somewhere around 150 fry in a single brood!

Okay thanks again everybody for the advice. This has really been helpful and has really opened my eyes to some great fish. I clearly have a lot of choices to make! Thanks again

If you get the kribensis pair, you can toss an angel in the tank too, or a pair of dwarf/honey gouramis, and/or some sort of dither fish like a few tetras, pencils, small barbs, etc.

You won't be able to keep shrimp unfortunately because Kribensis more often than not go after them. But you could keep, say, a bushynose pleco in there.

Why don't you just get a 55G? The extra height and extra volume of water help with stocking choices.

You seriously would best fulfill your own wishes here with a 55G tank. Then you could keep an interesting group of Mbuna. Maybe a group of Yellow Labs and 2 of the smaller male peacocks for a splash of blue or red.

There are other options too that we haven't looked at.
orange%20goby.jpg

+
neon.jpg

for example.

That was one of my favourite tanks- Tang gobies with paracyps.

I prefer the looks of a 33g vs the 55g. But of course you have to stock accordingly. Different strokes for different folks.

No angelfish in a 33 long IMHO... it's only 12" tall.

For a new cichlid keeper, I would not recommend pretty much anything from the genera Eretmodus or Paracyprichomis (or Cyprichromis, for that matter). These are simply not beginner fish; they are not very forgiving in terms of water parameters, can be difficult to feed, and can be quite shy at first iirc. A 33 long leaves little room for error and I've been told no Cyp's/Paracyp's in less than a 6' tank... I don't know how true that is, but my Cyp's did not last long in a 75 gallon.

Given the height of your tank, how about a species colony of Iodotropheus sprengerae, or maybe Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'? Not both, but choose one. Both are considered "dwarf" Mbuna, and both are considered to be on the mild-mannered side of conspecific aggression. Just a thought. ;)

It's not that they have a better personality, it's a different personality. Mbuna are just as interesting to watch as SA/CA cichlids are. I don't think SA/CA stuff has a better or more interesting personality. There's nothing convicts are going to do for you that something like yellow labs (which won't fit in a 33gal) wouldn't.

WOW you really like to argue don't you. I said IMO which means In My OPINION. I find Mbunas are more busy chasing eachother. While new worlds are busy exploring thier tank looking and every once in a while have a hierarchy dispute but they dont spend time chasing eachother. That is why I think they have a better personality my Opinion.

And almost every person I know that owns africans and new world cichlids say the same thing new worlds have a puppy dog like personality.

Do I have to buy 5 or 6 juvies if I dont want a mating pair? Or even if I do? I judt dont want to buy them all then not want to sell them after haha

You don't have to it just helps insure you get what you are looking for. If you just buy 2 fish it may work out fine. You might wind up with two males and they might have aggression issues. The females have more color and I know you mentioned bolder colors is something you like.

Again you don't have to do that you could just pick up two and it will most likely turn out fine.

The kribs look very nice but I have never seen them at any lfs in my area. And im too scared to order fish in

See if your LFS can get them in they are pretty easy to get I think you might be impressed. They get more impressive the bigger the get. Full size reminds of little torpedoes.

Let us know what you decided on. I would love to see pics of your set up tank.

I'm just gonna be blunt and say it, but people, please do your research BEFORE posting advice to someone completely new to a family of fish that has over 3000 species within it. The family cichlidae is one of, if not THE most diverse families of animalsin the entire animal kingdom. They spread over 5 of the 7 continents even. While no, most commonly available mbuna are not going to be a good fit for a 3 foot tank, there are still dozens of options, and while the OP may say they don't like dwarves, the average fish keeper knows usually of only a small handful of dwarves, mostly rams and a couple apistogramma species at best. There are over 60 species of apisto species, with dozens more that are yet to be described and named, or even discovered! Outside of that fact, you have DOZENS of genera of dwarf cichlids, like ivannacara, nannacara, laetacara, dicrossus, pelvicachromis (like Wy was talking about, and kribs are one of the less colorful species IMO, take a look at p. taeniatus 'nigerian red' and tell me they aren't gorgeous!), lamprologus, neolamprologus, telocichla, some crenicichla even. Need I go on? There are far more than just 2 options at hand. Like I said, research the topic, the respond. It'll save a lot of frustration and arguing.

As for the tanganyikan idea, paracyprichromis are NOT suitable for a 30 gallon, let alone a 75 or even 90. Paracyps are not only incredibly hard to find and ridiculously expensive, but they are very difficult to maintain. Tanganyikan gobies of either of their two genera (eretmodus and tanganicodus) are also generally hard to find).

As for personality, to settle this debate, yes, new worlds TYPICALLY exhibit a higher level of intelligence, thus showing a more developed personality. The larger species are generally carnivores, and thus need to plan attacks and ways to eat, where as most mbuna are herbivorous algae grazers and do not need to have the intelligence as much, other than to evade predators, like clawless otters and cormorants. They do exhibit a much different social behavior though. Again, this is speaking in generalities and is not the same across the board for either continents.

So basically, research is key people. Don't advise someone on a subject you do not thoroughly understand yourself. I am in no way questioning anyone's knowledge, intelligence, or integrity, but rather posting a challenge to everyone. Spend some time learning more about a subject before you try to teach it to someone else. While much of the time, I speak (or write, if you will) from memory, I almost ALWAYS have a google tab open to search something I'm a bit fuzzy on, or something I know I'm not well versed enough in. This forum will continue to lose its more seasoned members if we do not resolve issues like this.

c-afra-cobue.JPG

Cyanoptilapia afra "cobue" (like Severum mama mentioned)

Lamprologus_ocellatus_1.jpg
lamprologus-ocellatus-gold1.jpg

Lamprologus ocellatus "gold" (shell dweller from tanganyika)

Z
49523_5cb8b041af839ab64f1b3e7d959893b2.jpg

Apistogramma agassizii "double red"

c_compressiceps_20.jpg

Crenicichla compressiceps (dwarf pike cichlid, and yes, it's rather peaceful, but still a predator)
Cryptoheros_nanoluteus_brooding_female.JPG

Cryptoheros nanoluteus (central american cichlid that is similar to a convict. They have more color, but a similar parenting instinct like nigrofasciata [convict] in that they are highly protective, otherwise they are pretty laid back to my understanding)
None of these are my pictures btw, just google searches. There's FIVE options right there, and I could show dozens more.

The 33 long is a 4' tank, if that's the one we're talking about here. The 30 long is a 3' tank. The OP specifically stated they were interested in Mbuna, thus the reasoning behind my ideas.

I wouldn't personally suggest Ivanacara, Dicrossus, or dwarf Crenicichla just because they are typically more difficult to maintain IMO than the other genera you mentioned. My Dicrossus won't eat anything that isn't frozen or live, and even my soft water isn't soft enough for them so I'm now attempting to go blackwater with them. A club friend of mine has maintained a breeding colony of Ivanacara for some time; these are not only expensive, but picky about water quality (he finally got viable spawns after a couple of years tweaking everything about their water parameters, feeding, and care). I've only kept Crenicichla compressiceps (haven't kept regani, YET!), but I had them in a 55 with some other fish and they were surprisingly aggressive toward one another.

Last edited:
The 33 long is a 4' tank, if that's the one we're talking about here. The 30 long is a 3' tank. The OP specifically stated they were interested in Mbuna, thus the reasoning behind my ideas.

I wouldn't personally suggest Ivanacara, Dicrossus, or dwarf Crenicichla just because they are typically more difficult to maintain IMO than the other genera you mentioned. My Dicrossus won't eat anything that isn't frozen or live, and even my soft water isn't soft enough for them so I'm now attempting to go blackwater with them. A club friend of mine has maintained a breeding colony of Ivanacara for some time; these are not only expensive, but picky about water quality (he finally got viable spawns after a couple of years tweaking everything about their water parameters, feeding, and care). I've only kept Crenicichla compressiceps (haven't kept regani, YET!), but I had them in a 55 with some other fish and they were surprisingly aggressive toward one another.
I was more so trying to make the point that there are other options out there lol. I would certainly not reccomend dicrossus or ivannacara to a new keeper

As for crenicichla, I have heard the conspecific aggression can be up there with comps. I have heard that regani can be much better. Wallacei aren't much better than comps, but are on my wish list ;) I have seen comps housed with other species successfully though, regani too

It is not a long tank. It is 3ft long, someone just suggested I get a 4ft but the one my friend was selling me for cheap was 3ft. And those fish do look nice! I actually tried to set up a twenty gallon multies tank but my lfs never gkt them or decided not to tell me. They said theyd be in by a week when ii ordered and they never came luckily I didnt pay prior to getting them lol. But I dont know if asking my lfs to order is a good idea . I dont know if that was just a mix up or if it is the norm there. :S

WOW you really like to argue don't you. I said IMO which means In My OPINION. I find Mbunas are more busy chasing eachother. While new worlds are busy exploring thier tank looking and every once in a while have a hierarchy dispute but they dont spend time chasing eachother. That is why I think they have a better personality my Opinion.

And almost every person I know that owns africans and new world cichlids say the same thing new worlds have a puppy dog like personality.

Please remember that everyone has the right to respectfully post their own opinion.

I believe the OP indicated he picked up a 30gal and then someone else suggested the 33L.

It is not a long tank. It is 3ft long, someone just suggested I get a 4ft but the one my friend was selling me for cheap was 3ft. And those fish do look nice! I actually tried to set up a twenty gallon multies tank but my lfs never gkt them or decided not to tell me. They said theyd be in by a week when ii ordered and they never came luckily I didnt pay prior to getting them lol. But I dont know if asking my lfs to order is a good idea . I dont know if that was just a mix up or if it is the norm there. :S

Multies are fantastic and a good start into the world of cichlids. They are extremely hardy and breed like rabbits, and help get someone accustomed to the weird behaviors that many of the cichlid species exhibit. I almost gave my small colony up (I have 8, 2 males and 6 females) but just couldn't do it. I would continue to pursue these if I were in your position. Sometimes you have to drive to several different stores to find one that's good. I drove to probably 20 stores before I was able to find a small handful that I like and I drive 35 minutes to my LFS. Building a good relationship with the employees and owners usually helps too.

Please remember that everyone has the right to respectfully post their own opinion.

I do know that but as you mentioned before this guy comes across as offensive. He blatantly stated I was wrong so I was defending that I was stating an opinion which was also back up by others.

I see, I must have been skimming too fast through that part of the thread. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for the ordering thing, sometimes the stores order things from their suppliers and the suppliers just don't send them. Maybe you will be able to get what you want next time. It is worth a try IMO. :)

I was more so trying to make the point that there are other options out there lol. I would certainly not reccomend dicrossus or ivannacara to a new keeper

As for crenicichla, I have heard the conspecific aggression can be up there with comps. I have heard that regani can be much better. Wallacei aren't much better than comps, but are on my wish list ;) I have seen comps housed with other species successfully though, regani too

I think we (or at least I) were trying to keep recommendations to commonly kept commonly found species. The op stated he was a university student so I may have wrongly assumed this meaning a tight budget. He also doesn't like to order online. He is new to this so keeping to more commonly kept fish keeps confusion to a minimum. Also help gain experience for more advanced fish in the future.

Where I live we have to lfs and then like petsmart and petland. The one lfs that I goto is great on problem is the ordering situation. And the second lfs were very rude to me my first yime there. Literally telling me to leave if I wasnt buying fish today. I was just looking to see what kind of tank id like to set up, fully planning to buy when my cycle was done. So I havent been back since. Besides that the next closest town that has one by my knowledge is 3 hours away :S wouldnt a three hour drive in november be unsafe for the fish?

Multies are fantastic and a good start into the world of cichlids. They are extremely hardy and breed like rabbits, and help get someone accustomed to the weird behaviors that many of the cichlid species exhibit. I almost gave my small colony up (I have 8, 2 males and 6 females) but just couldn't do it. I would continue to pursue these if I were in your position. Sometimes you have to drive to several different stores to find one that's good. I drove to probably 20 stores before I was able to find a small handful that I like and I drive 35 minutes to my LFS. Building a good relationship with the employees and owners usually helps too.

He stated before he was looking for bolder colors Multies wouldn't really fit that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom