Beginner wanting expert advice :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis.r

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys first post on this forum, joined as I have been browsing the posts a lot and it seems there are some really knowledgeable and helpful people here.

First of all I have been going around the web and come across a lot of conflicting information regarding a lot of things. I would like just a few pointers of getting started tailored to my tank.

I have a 24l/5.5 gallon superfish tank with a couple of fake plants in a 50W heater and Aqua internal 100 filter (picture to follow).
First of all I would say I understand the nitrogen cycle rather walk after spending hours reading about it on many different forums and websites.
I have had the tank for a week now and have been adding fish flakes to it every day to produce ammonia to start the cycle however the test results are still showing at 0. PH in the tank is around 8 and 0 nitrite so far as well. The thing that is bugging me is that my nitrates in the tank are showing between 20-40 ppm and I have tested my tap water and it does appear that my tap water contains nitrate.
What I want to know is will this effect the cycle or help it?
I'm considering getting a Betta in a couple of days to help start the cycle properly or start with 3-4 zebra danios as I have heard both these are hardy fish. I am quite aware that I would need to keep a close eye on the water conditions and do a PWC every couple of days to keep everything in check. I couldn't afford to start with a bigger tank otherwise I would have but now I have this one I want to make sure I can take of the fish I decide to get.

I will never be putting anymore than five fish in the as I know this will put strain on the bio load. I would love to hear what you guys think I should do next ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438893103.237036.jpg

Thanks in advance

Lewis

24L/5.5 gallon tank with heater and superfish Aqua internal 100 filter
**Beginner**

I'd say the nitrates won't make a difference to the cycle. It does seem high for tap though, wondering if that is commonly seen for your area (eg water report or lfs may know).

I've never cycled with fish flakes so can't comment much there.

The fish flakes take time to fall apart and break down into their respective chemical composition.
Things that can speed up this process.
Increase the heat, speeds up the bacteria breeding.(reasonable increase of course 84 is probably good). Reduce slowly before adding fish.

Use ammonia directly instead of fish flakes. Regular household ammonia with no dye or scents. About 2 drops from an eye dropper. When you get to 2ppm in your testing stop till you see nitrite, and ammonia fall. Then dose again. After nitrate appears test the water by adding 2 more drops When the ammonia goes away after 24 hours do a water change to reduce the nitrate. Cycle complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now nitrates that high in your tap is something I've never experienced. I would honestly suggest plants like duckweed to help control nitrate, since your going to be adding some nitrate when attempting to remove from the system.

Ditch the flakes and go to your local Ace Hardware and buy there brand of ammonia. It's about $2.65 and saves a lot of headaches, and with the ammount you get you can use it to cycle dozens of tanks.

There's calculaters available online where you input your desired ppm, ft volume and ammonia concentration and it spits out how much ammonia to add.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

***update***

Thanks for your reply guys!
Went into me local fish store couple of days ago and they advised me that if was find to put some fish in so I have bought 3 White Cloud Mountain minnows. After reading a lot on the cycle I'm going to keep a very close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels over the next few weeks until the tank has fully cycled.
I'm ready to be doing 50% PWC every other day to keep parameters under control. At the moment my PH is 8.1 and ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.
Testing every day.

Any advice to make sure the next few weeks run as smoothly as possible to help keep the fish safe?

**Beginner**

Also I would go with the betta. Zebra danios technically could live in that tank but they're very active and very fast and 5.5g just isn't enough room to observe their behaviors. The smallest I would suggest for them is a 20g (long would be my preference)

Great job with the research! And there are lots of options for that tank once you get going and gain some experience.

I would grab a few low light real plants that might help suck up some nitrates we use anarchis in our fry tanks and they are work horses.

***update***

Thanks for your reply guys!
Went into me local fish store couple of days ago and they advised me that if was find to put some fish in so I have bought 3 White Cloud Mountain minnows. After reading a lot on the cycle I'm going to keep a very close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels over the next few weeks until the tank has fully cycled.
I'm ready to be doing 50% PWC every other day to keep parameters under control. At the moment my PH is 8.1 and ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.
Testing every day.

Any advice to make sure the next few weeks run as smoothly as possible to help keep the fish safe?

**Beginner**

This article may help for ammonia toxicity.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

Just note it is a guide on average so if fish are sulking then a water change is probably needed (even if ammonia reading looks ok).

Watch fish closely. Fish in cycling causes some stress for fish which leaves them more open to infections. Not saying it will, just keep an eye on them and post on anything odd.

Water changes should be roughly temp matched. Less stress for fish but also e.g. using colder water can result in fungal infections.

Thanks delapool!
That chart on the link you showed me is interesting. My PH in the water it around 8 at the moment, out the tap it's around 7.2.
My tank temperate sits around 23-25 degrees at the moment and I know from tests that ammonia is at 0.25 at the moment (will be doing more tests shortly).
So surely my water temperature should be lower and that means that it will be safer for my fish? These are white cloud maintain minnows so I'm pretty sure they prefer a temperature of around 18-23 degrees Celsius.

Will be doing another 50% change anyway in around 12 hours once I get back from work regardless of the results.

So in regards to the temperature of the tank is this okay do you think?

**Beginner**

Generally the chart has proven to be a good guide from what I've seen. You are right that a lower temp means less of the more toxic ammonia.

However I've had fish sulk on me even though the ammonia was apparently ok. They looked better / more lively after a water change so go off what the fish are doing as well. When in doubt a water change rarely hurts anything and won't stop tank from cycling.

****update****

So got home from work today and the thank as a white cloud in the water, I have done a 50% water change and it had a little effect for a while but now has gone back to going really cloudy again. What does this mean?! Is it bad? Or could it be the filter? I haven't cleaned out the filter yet and before I got the fish I was putting fish flakes in to try to start the cycle so maybe this needs cleaning out? The ammonia before the water change was bordering on 0.5 PPM, ph is still around 8.1 and nitrite at 0.

I will test the water again before work to see whats happened since the water change but just concerned about this white cloud, I'm assuming it's to do with the cycle? Any advice from anyone?

Then fish still seem happy and are swimming round as normal with no sign of ammonia poisoning.

Thanks

**Beginner**

White cloudiness is a sign of bacterial bloom will happen during almost all cycles. Means the bacteria are starting to consume the waste. I would do daily PWC upto 50% till you have nitrate and no Ammonia and nitrite readings since you are doing a fish in cycle.

Will do! I'm testing water every day. This morning after the water change last night the ammonia dropped to 0.25 however still no nitrites present.

When I do the water change this evening shall I give the filter sponge a wash round in the old water that I take out? As the filter seen to be making quite a bit of noise so I can only assume that it may be blocked slightly.
With the cloudy water should that just go once the bacteria is balanced in the tank?

**Beginner**

Will do! I'm testing water every day. This morning after the water change last night the ammonia dropped to 0.25 however still no nitrites present.

When I do the water change this evening shall I give the filter sponge a wash round in the old water that I take out? As the filter seen to be making quite a bit of noise so I can only assume that it may be blocked slightly.
With the cloudy water should that just go once the bacteria is balanced in the tank?

**Beginner**

Yes the excess bacteria will die off, leaving enough bacteria to handle waste without being cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom