Beginners luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesfoad

Aquarium Advice Regular
So like most beginners I bought the tank and fish not knowing the cycling process. I quickly found this place after 2 fish and learned your ways. I bought aqeoun water conditioner and Tetra flakes along with my starter kit that included 10g tank, lights, hood, filter, and I bought gravel substrate, and a decent heater set at 76-77. I have been trying to cycle my tank for two weeks now with 3 zebras and my ammonia is only at .25-5. I don't have any trites or trates. Please help me I need advice for I lack experience ?. I wanna seem them trites and trates kick in

Don't feed tetra food!!! o_O it's full of fillers and crap. Try fluval or omega one(or both) and supplement frozen fish foods like bloodworm. Also use prime water conditioner. It will neutralize the affects of ammonia and nitrites on fish without disturbing the cycle. I would also suggest that you only run your lights for 4-5 hours a day only until your tank is cycled. It will help speed up the process. I would suggest you raise your tank temp to 80-83F until the tank is cycled, but zebra danios don't like high temps, 74-76 is their preferred temp. Good luck and remember that this takes time. :)

Oh I've been using tetramin tropical flakes for 3 weeks and my fish have been fairly healthy

Oh I've been using tetramin tropical flakes for 3 weeks and my fish have been fairly healthy

We're not saying that Tetramin is going to kill your fish, but let's talk about fish food :).

The first 12 ingredients in Tetramin tropical flakes are

Fish meal, dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, feeding oat meal, fish oil, potato protein, dehulled soybean meal, soybean oil, algae meal

The first 12 ingredients in Omega One tropical flakes are

Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring , Whole Shrimp, Whole Krill, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin

Omega one uses not one, but several fresh fish. Not fish meal like Tetra, fresh fish. 4 kinds. After that they use whole shrimp and whole krill (shrimp like crustaceans). There is no grain (binder) until 7 ingredients down the line. In the Tetra food, meanwhile, there is grain (rice) as the third ingredient.

Also, note that Tetra, instead of adding lots of natural protein sources like Omega One, adds several inferior, cheap protein sources. Dried Yeast, wheat gluten. Cheap cheap filler proteins. They even use potato protein for crying out loud. Have you ever heard of a fish eating a potato? :D

Feed your fish quality if you want extra healthy, beautiful fish with good color.

Omega Sea/Omega One
Ocean Nutrition
OSI
New Life Spectrum
Dainichi
Northfin

These companies all make superior grade fish food.

Pellets are always better than flake as they have a smaller surface area for things to oxidize in them. More concentrated nutrition as well. Your danios can probably take 1mm pellets if they are near adult size.

If you can't find quality foods at your local pet stores, order it online. Amazon has them all. So does Ebay. Or you can order from a specialized online aquaria retailer.
Get a 1/2 pound bag, take a little bit out at a time to keep in a little jar, and store the bulk of it in a sealed bag in the freezer.

Wow thanks I never realized the ingredients until you pointed then out to me. I'm gonna have to get me some real fish food

We're not saying that Tetramin is going to kill your fish, but let's talk about fish food :).

The first 12 ingredients in Tetramin tropical flakes are

Fish meal, dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, feeding oat meal, fish oil, potato protein, dehulled soybean meal, soybean oil, algae meal

The first 12 ingredients in Omega One tropical flakes are

Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring , Whole Shrimp, Whole Krill, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin

Omega one uses not one, but several fresh fish. Not fish meal like Tetra, fresh fish. 4 kinds. After that they use whole shrimp and whole krill (shrimp like crustaceans). There is no grain (binder) until 7 ingredients down the line. In the Tetra food, meanwhile, there is grain (rice) as the third ingredient.

Also, note that Tetra, instead of adding lots of natural protein sources like Omega One, adds several inferior, cheap protein sources. Dried Yeast, wheat gluten. Cheap cheap filler proteins. They even use potato protein for crying out loud. Have you ever heard of a fish eating a potato? :D

Feed your fish quality if you want extra healthy, beautiful fish with good color.

Omega Sea/Omega One
Ocean Nutrition
OSI
New Life Spectrum
Dainichi
Northfin

These companies all make superior grade fish food.

Pellets are always better than flake as they have a smaller surface area for things to oxidize in them. More concentrated nutrition as well. Your danios can probably take 1mm pellets if they are near adult size.

If you can't find quality foods at your local pet stores, order it online. Amazon has them all. So does Ebay. Or you can order from a specialized online aquaria retailer.
Get a 1/2 pound bag, take a little bit out at a time to keep in a little jar, and store the bulk of it in a sealed bag in the freezer.

That's a fantastic post mr sprinkles. I never even thought to look in to flake ingredients. To my horror I recently notice the fish food I was feeding was out of date. I bet it was poor quality too. I did feed bloodworm too but I bet my out of date food has contributed to a bacterial infection and poor water quality and nutrition. Either that or male latest ram which I failed to QT.

yge2uzat.jpg
8ygytegy.jpg

This was a brand new can of food I opened up around the first part of December. By second week of January I had 6 fish die. 3 zebra danios and 3 neon tetras. I had those fish for almost 1-1/2 years. They all got swollen stomachs and basically exploded. I thout it was a parasites or something and started treatment after signs of swelling on my first fish. But be passed on and 5 more followed. I immediately switched to Omega One and haven't lost a fish in two weeks.
mydy3ene.jpg
upaqavyr.jpg

Coincidence...?maybe. Will I feed my little aqua buddies the other stuff any more...? @$!# NO!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yge2uzat.jpg
8ygytegy.jpg

This was a brand new can of food I opened up around the first part of December. By second week of January I had 6 fish die. 3 zebra danios and 3 neon tetras. I had those fish for almost 1-1/2 years. They all got swollen stomachs and basically exploded. I thout it was a parasites or something and started treatment after signs of swelling on my first fish. But be passed on and 5 more followed. I immediately switched to Omega One and haven't lost a fish in two weeks.
mydy3ene.jpg
upaqavyr.jpg

Coincidence...?maybe. Will I feed my little aqua buddies the other stuff any more...? @$!# NO!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm food really needs to be considered it seems. So I shall get some omega one. Bet it can't easily be sourced it the uk though

Hmm food really needs to be considered it seems. So I shall get some omega one. Bet it can't easily be sourced it the uk though

i dont think the brand is important...just check the ingrediants. Look for fillers and other junk. If it's not made from other natural things then i wouldnt feed it to my fish. :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom