Behavior on dwarf gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
So I have a little problem with my dwarf gourami, I've had him for a month now and the first few days he was swimming all over the tank and after a week he kept hiding in the corner and won't swim at all. In my tank I have
10 neon tetras
2 mollies
1 Cory
And him.
His in my 20 gallon tank.
I really don't know what's causing him to not be sociable since he is the biggest fish in the tank.
Now going to lie it kinda annoys me, I know I know. But who wouldn't be if you sitting down looking at your tank and he is hiding by the corner all day.
Thanks
-Bri

Did you check the water to make sure it's safe for him? Does he show any other signs of being sick?

Gouramis are occasionally skittish with very fast moving fish like neon tetras- so if the tank and the Gourami are healthy that's probably what's bugging him. Also, they aren't fans of other brightly colored fish. It sounds like he's stressed and not sure how to handle himself with his tankmates. But it would be better if you posted some water parameters (hardness, alkalinity, pH ect) for us to better help you with your finned friends :)

Did you check the water to make sure it's safe for him? Does he show any other signs of being sick?

Gouramis are occasionally skittish with very fast moving fish like neon tetras- so if the tank and the Gourami are healthy that's probably what's bugging him. Also, they aren't fans of other brightly colored fish. It sounds like he's stressed and not sure how to handle himself with his tankmates. But it would be better if you posted some water parameters (hardness, alkalinity, pH ect) for us to better help you with your finned friends :)

This is what happen. I added 3 Dino fish and the second day he kept himself in the corner, they told me to return the Dino fish and I did, thought that would fix his behavior with the new fish. But his been like that since the Dino incident. Water perimeters are all right for him, and doesn't show any sign of sickness.

This is what happen. I added 3 Dino fish and the second day he kept himself in the corner, they told me to return the Dino fish and I did, thought that would fix his behavior with the new fish. But his been like that since the Dino incident. Water perimeters are all right for him, and doesn't show any sign of sickness.

Neons are also very fast and on top of that- brightly colored which isn't helping your gourami friend out at all. Gouramis (like Bettas) don't take kindly to bright colors because bright colors equals competition for mates. Plus, he's still recovering from those three Dinos (or are they Danios?)! A small school of Tiger Barbs might be better suited for him as they aren't as fast as Neon Tetras , not as brightly colored and if your Gourami gets any ideas about being pushy the Tiger Barbs are more than capable of standing up for themselves. Though if your Gourami has long fins then I wouldn't put in Tiger Barbs- they are notorious fin nippers. Hopefully your Gourami feels better soon! Do you have any hiding places like a cave or some dense plants? That might help him calm down sooner- but ultimately he's going to need time to recover.

Good suggestions to help the gourami, heavy plants. And having several, their favorite place is inside one of those hollow logs from Petsmart. Once they feel more comfortable, you should see him out a lot more.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Absolutely get some tall plants for them to hide in, makes them feel secure and more confident. Also, please get at least 2 more Cory's of the same species. Poor guy is highly social...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neons are also very fast and on top of that- brightly colored which isn't helping your gourami friend out at all. Gouramis (like Bettas) don't take kindly to bright colors because bright colors equals competition for mates. Plus, he's still recovering from those three Dinos (or are they Danios?)! A small school of Tiger Barbs might be better suited for him as they aren't as fast as Neon Tetras , not as brightly colored and if your Gourami gets any ideas about being pushy the Tiger Barbs are more than capable of standing up for themselves. Though if your Gourami has long fins then I wouldn't put in Tiger Barbs- they are notorious fin nippers. Hopefully your Gourami feels better soon! Do you have any hiding places like a cave or some dense plants? That might help him calm down sooner- but ultimately he's going to need time to recover.

I have a dwarf and neons and they are fine together but I have a lot of plants. I've found he loves floating plants. Try and find some duck weed at a store they will probably give it to you.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a dwarf and neons and they are fine together but I have a lot of plants. I've found he loves floating plants. Try and find some duck weed at a store they will probably give it to you.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The large amount of plants probably helps greatly. Most gouramis I see try to eat Neons but it would depend on the gourami.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The large amount of plants probably helps greatly. Most gouramis I see try to eat Neons but it would depend on the gourami.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah my gourami don't mind the neon tetras. I seriously don't know what's going on. I ask a special person for a 10 gallon tank. Hopefully when that arrives I'll move him to that tank and make permanently his. I feel he likes to be by himself. He is one picky fish

Back
Top Bottom